You can type here any text you want

How Close is too Close?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

54Rich

I posted this under another header, but I really need an answer, so I thought I'd post again.

I had 245/50/16's on the car with 4 front GTA wheels. The rubber was shot. So I did some research and ended up with:

255/50R 16 Sumitomo HTRZ in the rear and

225/55R 16 up front.

The 255 out back are stock height 26" tire and the fronts 225 are .3" shorter. The shorter fronts are also not as wide, the 245's rubbed the frame on tight corners, which I didn't like.

On the rear, I'm about 3/16" or so away from the frame and with the 245/50 I could almost get my finger between the frame and the tire.

So how close can you be to the frame? I wanted to space it 3/16", however, all I could find was 5/16" spacers. Now I'm not comfortable with the bite on the lugs. I'm having a heck of a time finding wheel studs that are 5/16" longer than the originals.

So question is, am I OK with 3/16" by the frame on the rear? Or could someone help me with longer studs? can't find them.

Also read that spacers on the rear is not a good thing?

Thanks,

Rich

Without drag radials in back, you shouldn't have any problems with a 5/16" spacer with iron drums.

I wouldn't go any more than this without longer studs.

3/16" clearance with the frame will likely rub in hard corners.

Without drag radials in back, you shouldn't have any problems with a 5/16" spacer with iron drums.

I wouldn't go any more than this without longer studs.

3/16" clearance with the frame will likely rub in hard corners.

Thanks for the response. Car has option J42 RR Aluminum Drums would that matter?

Since I have the studs pressed out and the axels not installed yet, would really feel better with longer studs, NAPA didn't have anything. I think I found some at Checker.

Thanks,

Rich

Back