You can type here any text you want

How Difficult is a Roller Cam install?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

lnkncontiverto

Feel my Pacifists-of-Fury
So I'm at a crossroads with my car. I have had the engine out for practically a year for headgaskets, because of a new baby. I'm back into spending time on it and have put most everything back together. Just about ready to put the engine back in.

My question is that I don't have much experience in the rotating assembly, quite honestly, I'm afraid to F something up. I have an extra couple hundred in my Buick funds and I'm considering a Roller Cam Kit from one of the vendors. I know a good mild street cam could really supplement my new ported irons. How difficult is the install? What does it involve? Are cam bearings something I could also handle while the cam is out?

My other question would be if I feel it is beyond my ability, how much do you think a mechanic would charge for the labor, considering I could just drop the engine off at a shop?

TIA!

If you have never installed a camshaft just let the shop do it . If you get the camshaft out of time then your car want pull a wet noodlle out of a cat's a$& if you know what I mean!!

Have you priced the roller cam kits? They are more expensive that a couple hundred bucks. You must change the cam, lifters, springs and install a new cam button. It's not that difficult, but if you get the timing chain off one tooth, you car will not run well and you get to pull it apart, again.

Not difficult if the motor is out. If you have the time and you're not in a hurry and you have a socket set then I say try it yourself. They're enough guys on the board to help out if get stumped someplace. You can ask questions and post pics. I would let a machine shop put the cam bearings in. Do you have a double roller timing chain already? You can rent a valve spring tool from AutoZone. If you stick with the stock rocker arm shafts then I would get the HD shafts from TA performance. You will also need an adjustable push-rod checker, Full throttle has them for like $7-10. The only really tricky thing is trying to measure the cam thrust (the cam moving back and forth in the block) Shims come with the adjustable cam button from Full Throttle. Keep us posted!

If you pulled the engine yourself, have the patience to read, wait for advice, and access to the tools you need, you can do it.

Have you priced the roller cam kits? They are more expensive that a couple hundred bucks. You must change the cam, lifters, springs and install a new cam button. It's not that difficult, but if you get the timing chain off one tooth, you car will not run well and you get to pull it apart, again.

Yeah, I have my eyes trained in on a set at both Fullthrottle and Cotton's. I have enough in the budget for everything I would need; however, it will be a stretch to have enough left over for someone to install it for me and save me from destroying something.

I would love to put it in myself, just another thing to add to my Buick resume, but I keep hearing about how much of a hassle it is to shim it. I think, unless anyone can give me an idea on cost, I'm going to call up some local shops to get their estimate on the labor. Would this be something that any shop could handle, or is this for Buick experts only? The reason I ask is that there is only one Turbo Buick shop (aggressive auto) that I know of locally.

If you can do a flat tappet cam you can do a roller. There are no shims needed on the Full Throttle cam as they use a roller bearing like stock. Only part is measuring pushrods & ordering them which are $100. Do Not do the Cam bearings IMO. Leave that to a shop BUT if the shop has it already, they can install the cam & supplied parts in an hour.

Back