You can type here any text you want

how do I get tire and rim off car

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

buickjunkie

Central Ontario
Hi,
One rear tire is stuck on the car, I've been beeting on the tire with a sledge but it won't work loose. The other 3 came off.
another item has anyone seen wheels like this the complete center finned section is plastic and looks like there siliconed right to the rim.

Thanks Bruce

Attachments

• 102_4871.jpg
    102_4871.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 162
  • 102_4872.jpg
    102_4872.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 142
did you try tapping on the tire from the back? if that doesnt work i really dont know what to do.:confused:

Does the car run? Try putting the lugs back on, not quite tight and drive it a little, start and stop. Should break it free.
GM did a lot of urethane cast wheels, the original Trans AM "Honeycomb" wheels were made the same way. Nice to look at, incredible heavy!

GM called them Polycast wheels. Very common around '79. I have about 20 of them. NOS center caps seem readily available, but the trim rings are rare.:biggrin:

Does the car run? Try putting the lugs back on, not quite tight and drive it a little, start and stop. Should break it free.
GM did a lot of urethane cast wheels, the original Trans AM "Honeycomb" wheels were made the same way. Nice to look at, incredible heavy!

Thanks for the replys
Getting to run is not a problem , getting it to stop another thing :biggrin:

did you try tapping on the tire from the back? if that doesnt work i really dont know what to do.:confused:
I've tried prying it off with a crowbar from the back between the drum and rim with no luck.

GM called them Polycast wheels. Very common around '79. I have about 20 of them. NOS center caps seem readily available, but the trim rings are rare.:biggrin:
Are 31 year old polycast wheels safe to use? I only have 3 trim rings

Hit the wheel with a big ford hammer with a block of wood against the wheel
I've been pounding on tire with a sledge with no luck.

Bruce

Hit the wheel with a big ford hammer with a block of wood against the wheel

If it doesnt work from the front try to place the wood on the back side right on the inner lip of the rim and give it a good strike....leverage is your friend.

to pop the bead, I have always pulled the valve core out, then had a friend with a truck carefully drive on the tire.... the weight should sink the bead off.

A.j.

Back