You can type here any text you want

How Do I Know if a Turbo is Turning

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

buickjunkie

Central Ontario
Hi,
I know nothing about Turbo's. I have a 79 Turbo Regal that has not been started in 15 years, I have it running but don't know if the turbo's working.
Thanks Bruce

do you have a boost gauge? do you hear the turbo spool up? wait untill latter on maybe charlie will be on and he will help out alot.

Hi,
thanks for the reply.
Called the original owner he says the odometer is accurate 122,000 km.
ran last 15 years ago, garage kept up till last year. I changed the oil and filter, checked the fluids, put an old starter on it off my 67 LeSabre. Fed it fresh gas, poured a little gas into the carb and it started right up.

I don't understand what actuates the turbo, is the waste gate used to bleed off extra exhaust to the turbine when o\not required or does it direct exhaust to the turbine when boost is required?
The waste gate is operated by a vacuum pot and the waste gate is not seized.
Some one suggested listening to it thur a screwdriver while is running , should be able to here the bearing.
As for a boost gauge see attached picture.
I'm doing this while in park. Maybe boost only come on while your driving , in that case I'm going to need BRAKES:biggrin:

thanks Bruce

Attachments

• 102_4867.jpg
    102_4867.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 173
Put the car in drive. Keep your foot on the brake and stomp the gas. IF that turbo is workin, you'll know it.

Put the car in drive. Keep your foot on the brake and stomp the gas. IF that turbo is workin, you'll know it.

LMAO I almost spit all my beer on my computer! Make sure you have brakes fixed or you are pointing towards an open field when trying that.

you will hear the turbo spool up if you put it in gear and held the brake and gas. it does take some time for it to spool. we have bad turbo lag. do you have a vac gauge that you can hook up to the foot of the turbo to see if you have enough boost. if you dont buy a cheap one or invest in a good one.

thanks for the replys

This is going to be interesting, I think the rear brakes are working a little. My lane is 400 ft long I don't think there's enough room including coasting to a stop.:D

You can unbolt the downpipe and watch it spin.....

Can I heat the hot side of the turbo with a torch? I think that's the only way the bolts are going to loosen up.

Bruce

This is going to be interesting, I think the rear brakes are working a little. My lane is 400 ft long I don't think there's enough room including coasting to a stop.:D

give it a shot who know what will happen.:p i would put block in front of the tires to be on the safe side.

I would just put a boost/vacume guage on it, alot easier and you are at the point of no return if you break the bolts on the exhaust housing.

I would just put a boost/vacume guage on it, alot easier and you are at the point of no return if you break the bolts on the exhaust housing.

that would be easy but you need to pull the down pipe out to change spark plugs at least on mine. so why not do it now.

If you break the bolts, you can pull the elbow off and replace it. Of course you have the same issue there (stuck elbow bolts).

I have had problems getting the DP loose the first time. I broke one bolt off and had to drill it out. Once you get one loose, it take some of the pressure of the others. Not sure if the early cars use them, but the later cars had bolts with springs on them. The springs held the DP in place and there is no reason to overly torque the DP bolts.

One of the lower bolts holes breaks through the backside. You might be able to squirt some PB Blaster in there.

Of course, put some anit-sieze on before reinstalling.

Hi,
This car has springs on the bolts. I was able to turn the bolts on the pipe flange that runs from the exhaust manifold to the turbo at the turbo. Then the Mosquitoes came out. I'll try the down pipe flange tomorrow.

Does anyone know where I can find the options sheet, I've looked in the glove box and on the trunk lid?

Another question , production numbers? 21,000+/- total, how many were turbo cars , how many made it to Canada?

thanks Bruce

Hi,
This car has springs on the bolts. I was able to turn the bolts on the pipe flange that runs from the exhaust manifold to the turbo at the turbo. Then the Mosquitoes came out. I'll try the down pipe flange tomorrow.

Does anyone know where I can find the options sheet, I've looked in the glove box and on the trunk lid?

Another question , production numbers? 21,000+/- total, how many were turbo cars , how many made it to Canada?

thanks Bruce

my build sheet was behind the door pannel and under the rear seat.

AND....you need to post pics of your ride. Kind of mandatory around here;) That and I like the b4 black cars. I was just thinking...how bad ass would it be to have a built SFI setup in a 2 door century? Words could not describe the amount of ass it would kick.

Back