how do I post avatars in my emails?

TireFryer

The New Kid
I have gone through the search, but nothing that was helpful in doing so. any inout would be greatly appreciated. I tried to do a copy and paste, but then I loose the animation part of the avatar. TIA

With hotmail simply use their attach function. Should look like a paper clip. Hit that and then browse your computer to the picture's file.

This also frustrates the piss out of me. I have tried over and over to get my avatars to animate on here, and it never works. Is there anyone out there who really knows why this is, and can give advice on how they should be saved initially to preserve the animation, and then uploaded correctly to do the same? I mean, I feel like an idiot, but cannot make it work.
:rolleyes:

Ok guys, to set up your avatar, go to user cp, then edit options, then scroll down to the bottom. Click change avatar, then browse to it on your hard drive and upload it. If its stored on your hard drive and is animated there, it should be animated when you upload it, unless you are exceeding some sort of size, format, etc limit. To find one to put in, either do a search on google for avatars, or hang out on a few other boards, and copy someone elses.

Originally posted by striker_29
Ok guys, to set up your avatar, go to user cp, then edit options, then scroll down to the bottom. Click change avatar, then browse to it on your hard drive and upload it. If its stored on your hard drive and is animated there, it should be animated when you upload it, unless you are exceeding some sort of size, format, etc limit. To find one to put in, either do a search on google for avatars, or hang out on a few other boards, and copy someone elses.

I have done this, and it doesn't work for me. I have both "copy and pasted" avatars that I've stolen from other boards, as well as had the actual files sent to me from the owner of the avatar. I save them to my hard drive, then when I go to my user cp to upload, they do not animate. Am I not saving them correctly to my hard drive in the first place? Someone told me if you have to change their dimensions (TB.com requires they be a certain size), then they lose their animation.

I'm obviously doing something wrong, but I cannot determine what it is.

I dont know Doug that is strange. The only animated ones I have ever used, I set up just as you did and they worked fine. If its over the size limit, it wont even let you upload it. Maybe one of our image experts will chime in.

What bugs me is that I just know the answer is easy, and yet it eludes my steel-trap of a brain......whatever! :p

All of the animated avatars I've seen are *.gif files. Make sure when you save the avatar to your PC, it's the same file type as the original. Sometime when you right-click an avatar on the internet to "save as", it tries to save as a bitmap (*.bmp) regardless of the original file type.

Yes, good point, and all the ones I've saved have been as gif files, so I haven't found that to be a factor.

This is really bugging me now. Announcing a reward! $5 cash to the person who solves this issue for me. :D :D

Originally posted by dhauser
Yes, good point, and all the ones I've saved have been as gif files, so I haven't found that to be a factor.

This is really bugging me now. Announcing a reward! $5 cash to the person who solves this issue for me. :D :D

Yes - changing the dimensions to get under the size allowed here can stop the animations.:)

Go ahead - take my avatar, please (rim shot). Take mine, save it and use it. If it doesn't animate for you - then you've got other issues.

_BOB

Thanks guys. I've never understood how to create an avatar....so as Bob suggested I stole his. :)

Aaaarrrrghhh. I'm all powerful now with my newfound knowledge. What out....avatar thief on the prowl.

I am mystified why this one works, and none of the other ones I have don't. How can one shrink an avatar properly and still have it animate? grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I just stole this one from another board JUST like I stole GNX Fans flag earlier, but I had to slightly resize this one (since we don't get JACK for avatar size on this board), and of course, now it doesn't animate.

My question: Since almost all the avatars I like have to be resized smaller to fit on this board, how can it be done without losing the animation?

C'mon we got eye ball surgeons and alchemists on this board, so there must be someone smart enough to figger this out....;)