How do you remove T-TOPS without a KEY?

SSYNERGY

I just bought this WE4 T-TOP car, and the T-TOPS are locked in, and I don't have the key to remove them. What can I do to remove them? RSVP, Thanks

Get in there with a screwdriver and start taking them apart. Once you get the plastic trim panel off, you should be able to get at the locking mechanism.

How are you getting into the car without your key? On my T-Tops, the door key unlocks the T-Tops too.

go to your local GM dealership and they can cut you a orig door key as long as you have the vin and title to prove its yours.

i don't think the VIN database at a GM dealer goes back that far.
and even if it did- what if the lock cylinders have been changed somewhere along the line?

Key to remove Ttops? Huh? Mine had some lugnuts, and I just attached the missing handles...

Like they said, the door lock AND trunk key fits the t-top locks. If you don't have the trunk or door lock key, any locksmith should be able to make you one.

Thanks guys, but I tried the door key, and it didn't want to go into the lock cylinder for the T-TOPS, I will try again, and see if I just had the angle wrong, but I don' t think so. They didn't appear to be the same style lock cylinder as the door and trunk lock cylinders. Thannks again.

I just went out to my car and tried the door/trunk key to make sure I hadn't told you wrong. It unlocked it. I did have the key right side up. The only thing I can figure is that maybe the guy you bought it from had them (the t-tops) stolen at some point and replaced them with another set, therefore the locks would be different. Sorry we couldn't help.

Originally posted by SSYNERGY
They didn't appear to be the same style lock cylinder as the door and trunk lock cylinders.

Are they factory t-tops? See if CC1 is on the rpo sticker on the trunk lid. Or post some pics. Maybe the original tops were broken or ripped off and these are from another car? Door key goes in level, flat side up as I recall.

David

....just another thought - when I got my car all I received were one set of keys....the original factory set.

The door lock key was Very very worn - it would unlock the door and trunk, but NOT the T-tops.

I took the key to a good locksmith and he made a new one from the crap one BY HAND, tested it in the T-top, took it back in, made an adjustment....and Bingo !!

.... I then had him make several spares from the newly made key.