How do you sell a car to an out of state buyer?

TTA81

I have a potential buyer in Texas for my 81 TTA and I live in North Carolina. My TTA is registerd in Florida because I am in the military. I sent him details and pics of the car and he wants to buy it sight unseen. He has offered to have the car shipped to him and to send half of what I want for it ($7K).

First of all, Should I ask for the whole amount up front? If I ask that, he could think he might get screwed if the car is still in my possession. If he sends only half, how do I know if I'll get the rest from him? What type of payment should I accept? What about the title?

Is there a way to do this so both parties are happy?

As of right now, the buyer is out of town on business and I'm not sure when he'll get back to me.

I wish it was a deal in person so it could be as simple as cash for title swap.

Thanks for any help,
James

I would have ALL the $$$ before anything left my possession :cool: To many "IF's" IF he doesn't like it once he gets it :eek:

Been there, done that. Just like in person, CASH then the car leaves my yard PERIOD !! Being a nice guy will get you SCREWED on this. If he wants the car he will pay for it, if not then move on man. Once it leaves it will be hard to get the rest from him , impossible if you do something stupid like send the title signed to him at the same time !!!!! Treat it just like any other sale, you want the car then pay for it and come get it period !!!!!!! Take a bank cashier check or personal check either one BUT BUT BUT tell him upfront that the car will NOT leave the yard untill after it clears and the money is in your account, NO leyway on this PERIOD. CYOA man ! [ cover your own a#@ ] Daniel

bank transfer

I just did one in June. I live in Kansas they were in Florida. Bank transfer. Their bank called my bank. I then mailed the title.

I have sold several cars out of state. I never had a problem with a buyer (because I never take any chances). I would never consider letting a car go without the entire amount in my bank. as far as im concerned once the car leaves my house the other party owns it. If he wants to be sure its his responsibility to fly out and look at it. If you send the car with only half the money your taking a big unnessesary risk IMO.

Thanks for all the replys. You guys have been helpful. I'll definitely be sure to have the full amount of $$ before I decide to let it go.

100% do it that way. There are way to many scams that happen. If the payment is anything but cash than make sure it clears before the car leaves. Do not send money back as an over an overpayment. This is a common scam on vehicle purchases. Good luck with the sale.

There is an old saying....If it sounds to good to be true than it .................!