You can type here any text you want

How fast on fully ported and polished IRON heads???

• Thread starter Thread starter coach
  • Start date Start date

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
C

coach

Got a guy who asked about running the stock iron heads fully race ported and polished. I said I would post and get some HP numbers and times if possible. Who has had the best results? Who did the head work?

Thanks
Coach

The guys that made the most power with them all had solid cams and really good spring setups which are not easy to do on iron heads. Mid 140's in the quarter. I believe Dick Kereny had a set on one of his old TSM engines years back. It hauled the mail for sure. I doubt the fastest had the best ever flowing iron heads. Having a high flowing head is useless if your valve train falls short. When the engine needs to pull past about 5800rpm most of the near stock diameter springs give up when the boost is high. I believe there would be a lot more 140+mph iron headed engines if the later Champ and TA castings werent around. Those are a lot simpler to get a good spring on and leave the innovators to figure out how to spring the iron heads. A few have figured it out. Many have gone a lot faster on mild port work and bowl cleanups/valve jobs than most have gone with fully ported and polished brand name heads.

Thanks Brian,
I think he was asking so he knew if he needed to spend the $$$ on aluminum heads. I dont think he wants to drop $1200-1500 on a set of heads, but would rather have someone do $1000 worth of work to iron heads. I know my buddy just had Dan @DLS do a set for his car. They looked really nice for $700. I think he wants to spend it elsewhere, and fully race ported, aluminum heads on a street engine might be over kill. Are they mid/low 10 capable? If so , I might change my mind.:rolleyes:

Thanks Brian,
I think he was asking so he knew if he needed to spend the $$$ on aluminum heads. I dont think he wants to drop $1200-1500 on a set of heads, but would rather have someone do $1000 worth of work to iron heads. I know my buddy just had Dan @DLS do a set for his car. They looked really nice for $700. I think he wants to spend it elsewhere, and fully race ported, aluminum heads on a street engine might be over kill. Are they mid/low 10 capable? If so , I might change my mind.:rolleyes:

Mildly ported iron heads will supply 9 sec power with the right combo.

Last time out we went 9.300 @ 144 with a 1.33 60' on mt 275 drag radials. But this has taken several years of tuneing and a few different combos.
Walt

Last time out we went 9.300 @ 144 with a 1.33 60' on mt 275 drag radials. But this has taken several years of tuneing and a few different combos.
Walt

Thats getting it done. Solid lifters?

I talked to Dan at DLS the other night. He said to include a set of 8445's when I send my block to him and he can get 700HP out of irons, so I think that is the way I am going to go. Just have to nail down the cam and compression ratio and I need to chat with Bison about the what works well together.

:biggrin:

I talked to Dan at DLS the other night. He said to include a set of 8445's when I send my block to him and he can get 700HP out of irons, so I think that is the way I am going to go. Just have to nail down the cam and compression ratio and I need to chat with Bison about the what works well together.

You can get 700hp no problem with a mild hyd cam and a good combo.

Bison, this is for you...and I'm learning...why would we spend $1,000 on porting stock heads vs picking up a set of Champion irons that are new and CNC'd for about $200 more? This is probably one of my next upgrades, and it's a good sized expense for me.

Sorry to jump in Coach.

Bison, this is for you...and I'm learning...why would we spend $1,000 on porting stock heads vs picking up a set of Champion irons that are new and CNC'd for about $200 more? This is probably one of my next upgrades, and it's a good sized expense for me.

Sorry to jump in Coach.

The Champions are stock castings ,not new,so wheres the difference in having someone else port them or Champion? It says right in there ad, they choose the best castings they can get. If you want the Champion logo on the head thats one thing, but there are alot of guys who port heads and get the job done. The term "CNC" is WAY overblown. I am an engineer that works in a shop with 15 different types of "CNC" machines. CNC means...Computer Numerical Control, thats it. Most are not even real good quality, they just use a programming station instead of turning handles to get the same result. Dan at DLS does some killer head porting. My buddy had a set done a few months back. That was when I was reconsidering the expense of $1800 TA heads for a street engine, and they would still need some port work.

Coach

The Champions are stock castings ,not new,so wheres the difference in having someone else port them or Champion? It says right in there ad, they choose the best castings they can get. If you want the Champion logo on the head thats one thing, but there are alot of guys who port heads and get the job done. The term "CNC" is WAY overblown. I am an engineer that works in a shop with 15 different types of "CNC" machines. CNC means...Computer Numerical Control, thats it. Most are not even real good quality, they just use a programming station instead of turning handles to get the same result. Dan at DLS does some killer head porting. My buddy had a set done a few months back. That was when I was reconsidering the expense of $1800 TA heads for a street engine, and they would still need some port work.

Coach

It was just a question Coach. Sorry if I offended you, I'm just trying learn. Difference? Consistency would come to mind to me.

It was just a question Coach. Sorry if I offended you, I'm just trying learn. Difference? Consistency would come to mind to me.

Didnt mean for it to sound like you offended me...its all good:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: I was just replying and pointing out the $$$ difference. I dont like to see anyone get caught up in the terms "CNC" and "Billet". Most times they are selling points that guys treat as "must haves" and they are just "fad"words that mean very little in the function of the piece. I originally asked for names of people who do head work and the results they have had. I am leaning toward DLS, but my other friend who I asked this question for is still shopping. I am having DLS do an entire engine, so to farm out the heads somewhere else offends some builders because they are capable. Dan is MORE THAN CAPABLE of getting me what I want. I asked Bison the capabilities of irons because Dan doesnt like to chat on the phone and Bison helps everyone as much as he can. He should start TurboBuick.com University.;):eek:

You didnt offend me, dont sweat it. Follow along and you may end up getting your heads done somewhere else and save a buck or two and get the same results.

Coach

Didnt mean for it to sound like you offended me...its all good:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: I was just replying and pointing out the $$$ difference. I dont like to see anyone get caught up in the terms "CNC" and "Billet". Most times they are selling points that guys treat as "must haves" and they are just "fad"words that mean very little in the function of the piece. I originally asked for names of people who do head work and the results they have had. I am leaning toward DLS, but my other friend who I asked this question for is still shopping. I am having DLS do an entire engine, so to farm out the heads somewhere else offends some builders because they are capable. Dan is MORE THAN CAPABLE of getting me what I want. I asked Bison the capabilities of irons because Dan doesnt like to chat on the phone and Bison helps everyone as much as he can. He should start TurboBuick.com University.;):eek:

You didnt offend me, dont sweat it. Follow along and you may end up getting your heads done somewhere else and save a buck or two and get the same results.

Coach

Just let Dan do the motor, heads & intake for you. It will be done right!

1200 fro aluminum ported heads? Wish I could get that deal.

I have somewhere around 2k into my champion GN1R's

Coach, thanks for the reply, appreciated.

Machinegun, no I was talking about the iron heads that they have listed on Champions site. The aluminums are probably many upgrades away for me from where I'm at today, LOL.

I have 3 other cars and none have aluminum heads. 409 makes 630HP undriven and 780 overdriven with 1962 factory heads, 452 Max Wedge makes 580HP with 1964 factory heads and my 500 inch Mopar made 640HP with Indy Irons.(Just sold it!!!) so I would love to keep my tradition of factory headed high HP engines. I just cant believe my little 250ci V6 is going to be the highest HP of all of them:tongue::tongue::tongue:

Back