You can type here any text you want

how hard to install injectors?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

kshef

looks like injector would be easy to install
does anyone care to explain or does anybody know of a good article or website on injector installation?
thanks

it's not too dificult u just have to take off the fuel lines and the fuel rail inself. ull also have to take off the coil pack.. then it is just pop off the clamps on top of each injector and slide them out. grease up the new ones and reinstall everything just like u took it out.

I think there is a write up on www.gnttype.org also. First time I did them it took me a couple of hours. If you can do basic mechanical stuff you will have no major problems. Might want to soak the bases of the inj's where they go into the intake if your's are the original injectors to help get them out. If you need to pry on the fuel rail, make sure to put a piece of 2x4 etc on the valve cover so you don't dent, crack, break anything...

Enjoy!

Joel

Originally posted by DKREDT
I think there is a write up on www.gnttype.org also. First time I did them it took me a couple of hours. If you can do basic mechanical stuff you will have no major problems. Might want to soak the bases of the inj's where they go into the intake if your's are the original injectors to help get them out. If you need to pry on the fuel rail, make sure to put a piece of 2x4 etc on the valve cover so you don't dent, crack, break anything...

Enjoy!

Joel

PS I unplugged the fuel pump harness at the back of the car and they started the car until it died to make sure I took all the pressure out of the fuel lines etc.

The R and R should take you about and hour.
It is more scary than hard.

As mentioned, the stock injectors will likely be stuck in there pretty good. Your TR has low miles on it, so you may be in luck. Mine had about 130k miles, and I could not get the injectors out for anything. I would give and and try again the next day, still nothing. Finally they came out, you have to manhandle them but I was worried about breaking something.

I had to put a crescent wrench around the bottom and pry them out, were kinda stuck.
Tarey D.

Another breakage tip...when prying, the egr solenoid on the drivers side has little plastic tips to connect to the vacuam lines, and are easily broken. Don't ask me how I know that one either:rolleyes: ;)

I will second, or third, the fact that stock injectors are really hard to get out. The passenger side ones were not going to come out at all. Finally, when they did the little hats pulled off the injectors and the o rings stayed behind as well. No big deal unless you were planning to re-use the injectors. I pried carefully up on each injector individually.

Make sure the O-ring bores in both the fuel rail and the manifold are really clean and smooth. I used a stiff plastic rod to push a solvent soaked rag into each bore to clean them, Do not scratch them or you will have a vacuum leak into the manifold and/or a fuel leak on the fuel rail end. Use motor oil to lube the new O-rings. I bought a bag of 16 O-rings from GM, meant for a V8 but its nice to have spares. The new ones use a harder blue rubber.

I assembled the new injectors into the rail on the bench and plugged them all in before putting them back on the car, makes it easier to connect them all right.

Back