How long can a tranny sit without driving it and still be okay???

FJM568

How long can a tranny sit without driving it and still be okay??? Car hasn't been driven in at least 4 yrs, maybe 5...As far as I know, it was fine when parked...Bought the car w/blown motor...I haven't driven it...The car is an 87 T...Would I have to worry about putting a fresh motor in and then blowing out the tranny??? Was thinking about taking car on a LONG trip later this summer...

Suggestions??? fluid/filter change??? etc...

I would do the filter and fluid change and check for any leaks afterwards. If no leaks, take her for a spin :) . My turbo T/A was sitting for 7 years before I found it and so far it shifts into all 4 gears with no problems yet but I have yet to take it for a long drive :eek: . Not every tranny will act the same but I do know that sitting for so long isn't good on them either, I may just be lucky.

got ya beat! my t sat for 11 years! changed the filter, new type f. been doing good so far. pat myers

Run it...

You will be fine. (Provided, it was ok before.) I havent found a way for them to fix themselves sitting yet but when I do , you all will be the first to know!!:D

You may want to do as the others suggest. Condensation is the enemy here. But if not, you should be ok...:)

Back