You can type here any text you want

How long can a tranny sit without driving it and still be okay???

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

FJM568

How long can a tranny sit without driving it and still be okay??? Car hasn't been driven in at least 4 yrs, maybe 5...As far as I know, it was fine when parked...Bought the car w/blown motor...I haven't driven it...The car is an 87 T...Would I have to worry about putting a fresh motor in and then blowing out the tranny??? Was thinking about taking car on a LONG trip later this summer...

Suggestions??? fluid/filter change??? etc...

I would do the filter and fluid change and check for any leaks afterwards. If no leaks, take her for a spin :) . My turbo T/A was sitting for 7 years before I found it and so far it shifts into all 4 gears with no problems yet but I have yet to take it for a long drive :eek: . Not every tranny will act the same but I do know that sitting for so long isn't good on them either, I may just be lucky.

got ya beat! my t sat for 11 years! changed the filter, new type f. been doing good so far. pat myers

Originally posted by quick85
got ya beat! my t sat for 11 years! changed the filter, new type f. been doing good so far.

Gotta love GM ;)

Run it...

You will be fine. (Provided, it was ok before.) I havent found a way for them to fix themselves sitting yet but when I do , you all will be the first to know!!:D

You may want to do as the others suggest. Condensation is the enemy here. But if not, you should be ok...:)

Fluid and filter change it is then...as soon as the engine is back in it, that is...

Thanks...

Back