You can type here any text you want

How many miles are on your stock bottom end, are they stout in these 3.8's ? ---

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

alwayscode390

I was just curious how many miles are on some of your stock bottom ends?

I know you can go fast with a stock bottom end, but I wasnt sure how long they last unmodified.

How many hp can you get out of one before you have problems? Wont you usually lift heads first?

My original 86' motor went 113,000miles before one morning i fired it up, pulled out in the road an stabbed it, Lost a rod bearing. These where hard miles,weekly track trips,couple years of NOS,with NOS i got in the 11's with-out it on 100 octane handyway gas an 19-20psi boost factory turbo i was running 12.50's,that's (sticky)street tires through full exhaust (test pipe of course ) Before the motor let go though i went through 3 rearends,2 tranny's...I bought the 10year unlimmited milage warrenty in 86'...8^)....Motors are great,it's whats behind them that let go first..

Enjoy!

To finish the story off, i took it in for the warrenty, those smartarse's repalced That Rod Bearing!!! 2 weeks later i brought it back with two other thrown rod bearings..Then i got my new short block!! For Freeeeeee!!... 8^), stay under 20psi boost on factory stocker, they''ll live long time

My original never had the heads of, stock cam, etc has 204 k on it. Last year before the trip to BG from ST Paul I dropped the oil pan to replace the gasket as it was leaking bad. I discovered my oil had copper flake....so I figured its the bottome end. I pulled the thrust bearing first and to my surprise the front and rear of the bearing hadnt even touched all the way across (yes not touched) and the no copper showing. Pulled a few rod bearings and they looked good as well. Figured it was the front cam bearing like typical on these high milers. So I buttoned it back up...and despite the advice from everyone that said it wouldnt make it and that I was crazy (wanted to make the last big trip on the stocker before the built engine goes in). She made it there and back no problem and I figured if it blows it blows. Anyways my motor was a trooper all these years, had TLC and good oil changes since new and good tune.
I think Mr. Clark has one with north of 300k on it IIRC.

As far as how fast IMO.....good tune..... I say 450ish HP is about it for longevity some do waaay more and some blow with waay less. All in the tune...you get a car with 65 k miles who knows who overboosted it and started hurting stuff in bone stock configuration before the wick was turned up.

I have one running perfect in a car with 300k!

I made several low 10 sec passes on one a few years ago. It had 147k on it when I put it in. The engine lasted 2 years over 600whp.

Wow, mine has 24k. Looks like decades of thrashing left in it.

Coach

Did any of these high milers make it that far on the original timing chain?

I have 130K on my untouched engine & I'm concerned about the timing set.

Thanks
~JM~

Thanks
~JM~

JM - just replace it and have the peace of mind. I have 100k on mine and just did the timing chain this winter. A fun project and not terribly expensive.

Do the timing chain and pull the pan and clean it out. Mine went 147k before I broke the first three main caps And that was my fault.The deltagate was hooked up wrong .The boost gauge was buried when it let go. When I pulled the engine the cam gear was just starting to crack

JM - just replace it and have the peace of mind. I have 100k on mine and just did the timing chain this winter. A fun project and not terribly expensive.
You & I may have differing views on fun. I've looked at the job & it seems like a pretty big job for me to pull off within my working conditions. So far... Swapping my SLIC for an FMIC has been my most challenging job. It actually went fairly well, just took a lot of time to remove the original & its bracketry, etc. The new IC installed real easy after that.

Thanks
~JM~

You & I may have differing views on fun. I've looked at the job & it seems like a pretty big job for me to pull off within my working conditions. So far... Swapping my SLIC for an FMIC has been my most challenging job. It actually went fairly well, just took a lot of time to remove the original & its bracketry, etc. The new IC installed real easy after that.

Thanks
~JM~

Probably, but at any rate its very doable. I had never done one, let alone on a TB. Take your time, tag and bag parts, ask questions and you will turn out fine.

Thanks
~JM~

As I posted about sometime ago that I'm in the process of replacing the original timing chain, and both sprockets since the cam sprocket has the nylon gear. After 25 heated years the cam gear teeth might start to break off and possible future damage could occur. Here is a photo of my cam nylon sprocket with one tooth missing or broken off. If you do plan to this work also remove the oil pan cover, and replace the oil pan pump filter.

Attachments

• Picture 036.jpg
    Picture 036.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 82
Back