You can type here any text you want

How many passes before stiffwall slicks loose their "bite"????

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbocliff

I Slang in my white T
So I went testing last night as I started to see my 60 fade, and have not had any issues with getting my car to leave in the past, but I believe my 28X10.5 M/T ET Drag stiff side wall slicks are fading away after only 10 hits. Could this be? I mean I know I hit the tires hard and its a heavy car... but damn.

My 60s have been getting softer by about .03-.05 every hit for the past 4 and adjustments up or down in tire pressure have provided no positive impact.

Thoughts?

I have put 20 passes on mine and they were 3 years old with 6 passes when I got them. A friend watched me launch last nite & said they spun then hooked but still went 1.39. My average is 1.38-1.42 lately. I don't expect them to last much longer, that is why I have a new pair sitting here. I do rotate them every time I take the car out (2-5 passes) & this seems to help alot. If the shredding pattern on the tread gets too obvious they do not work well, but you probably know this. I have been told by someone who 60's mid-low 1.30's that they are only good for 25-30 runs.

John

John - Yea I do not have any obvious shredding yet, but have never rotated mine. I am going to toss a new pair on, and will plan on rotating them each time the car hits the track and see if they hold out longer. My car usually 60s in the 1.28-1.31 range or 1.35-1.37 on the rears. The last 4 passes it went 1.39, 1.40, 1.41, 1.44... and the car is obviously spinning a bit.

Are they screwed? I know it's a stupid question!

I have a "stupider" answer .... No they are not. Both are marked and moved about 1" on the wheel on the 1st hit... but haven't moved at all since. I know they should be screwed for safety reasons... but since they haven't moved I am not thinking that is playing a role in my performance issue.

Just the driver is "screwed" haha

1.28 WOW! I guess I still need to work on my setup. It took me three years to get my car to do what it is doing now, it was stuck in the 1.50 range for most of that time. Maybe I should try some good shocks & harder launches. My tires peel the tread within one or two passes that is why I rotate them so often. The radials I had on it got so bad it wouldn't go 1.60's anymore and you can't rotate them because they are directional. Best of luck to you Cliff, hope you can get them to last longer. Ten runs on a $400 set of tires kind of takes the fun out of it.

Back