You can type here any text you want

How many people here run without a charcoal canister?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

WSLN 6

Powered by Murphy's Law
I wouldn't mind removing my canister to free up some room for a 4" intake.
Are there any problems by removing it?
Can I just plug the vacuum line and put a small vent on the fuel line going to the canister?

mines been gone since i broke it the first time i had the motor out.

you can put a lil filter on the end of the metal line and it wont set a code being unpluged i just tucked my wires down behind the steering box .

Hold on

WARNING !!!!!
Yes, you can run your car with out the filter, without any problems, BUT, be sure to cap the metal line that goes to the tank. One of my bestest friends lost his beautiful T-Type to a fire.
It was sitting in his garage with a load of fuel ( without a cap on the line as it always was ). It was winter time and he thinks the fumes coming out of the uncapped line ignited. He not only lost his car, major damage to his home.

i understand were your coming from Lee but all car fuel tanks need to be vented one way or the other.

i dont forsee the fumes from that line ever creating fire i have never smelled any fumes coming from any of mine for one but if their was i would think my car would be history after blowng out the rad. support for my i/c install with a plasma cutter with this line open.

all old cars had vented gas caps on them and there are plenty of them in inside storage

i have a feeling your friend had other problems to aid the fire.

as far as that goes who dont have a lawn mower in their garage?
the gas caps on lawn mowers are vented too..not to mention any motorcycles or atvs..

not trying to flame or nuthing just dont want to scare nobody..:)

There's really no need to remove the charcoal canister to make room for a 4" cold air intake. Just move it over an inch or two towards the driver's side fender. Plenty of room after doing that!

Mine has been removed for close to 2 years now with no ill effects. Just be sure to cap the vaccum line by the throttle body, put a filter on the other vaccum line and tuck the wire harness out of the way. With the cannister removed it makes it much easier for a cool air kit to fit...

Why don't you just relocate the canister? I have seen kits that place this near the vacuum ball thing. I did it on my old T myself with some large hose clamps from Home Depot.

I relocated mine down by the vacuum ball about 12 years ago. No problems yet.

I relocated mine down onto the fram rail. Mounting it where the original air cleaner canister mounting bracket was bolted to the frame rail. One bolt is sufficient.

Well, if it won't hurt to remove it(no emissions to pass anyway) I might as well get rid of it. I realize I could relocate it, but I would like the room for extra stuff under the hood.
I will put a small filter on the end of the line to keep it vented.
Anyhoo, any activated charcoal in the cannister that was supposed to be doing it's job would have worn out and become useless 14 years ago.
Activated carbon doesn't last that long.
So I hear...........
Thanks for the replys!

umm, I am still learning about these cars, so....
what is this charcoal canister/what's it's function? :confused:
Is it for emissions?

What type of filters are you refering to guys. Are you talking about a breather for the metal line when removing the cannister to vent?

Yes it is for emissions.

Still got both of mine with cold air kits, just slide it over a little. :)

Originally posted by dpok69
What type of filters are you refering to guys. Are you talking about a breather for the metal line when removing the cannister to vent?

I would like to know this too. What kind of filter should be used?

I removed mine, and put a small filter on the vent line. I was uncomfortable with the strong gas smell I had, so I put it back in where the air filer can once was. Done.
I just made a small aluminum bracket to bolt it to.

Originally posted by BuickGn Boosted
There's really no need to remove the charcoal canister to make room for a 4" cold air intake. Just move it over an inch or two towards the driver's side fender. Plenty of room after doing that!

exactly what i did...no problems here

Back