You can type here any text you want

How many rpms does your car drop during shifts?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Quick6'n'-K.C.

wana steal it? meet mr9mm
Staff member
I was wondering how many rpms your cars are dropping during shifts....

Does anyone have direct scan and could look to see what their rpms drop to???

I am slowly dialing my car in, and looking at my aftermarket tach during a 2-3 shift my car revs to 5000 and shifts, but only drops to about 4300-4400 and goes back up to 5000.

I feel that the motor is spending too much time at high rpm, and i want to lock the convertor next time and see how much more it comes back down to..

It has a 3200-3500 9/11 convertor in it, and this was when it was not locked.....

My daily has the stock cam in it, and feels like the valves are floating because it doesnt really make much power past 4400....well, it does make power, but it feels like it makes alot more power from 3300-4400 then it does from 4400-5000....

valve springs are 3-4 years old, 7,500 miles, 6,500 in the past 1 year......but i think i need to replace them again.

When i was racing a 440 charger this summer, at the top of every gear, my car would feel like it was nosing over, shift, then take right off again...
Again, convertor unlocked....
I wished my convertor lockup switch was easier to get to, and i wished i wasnt raining all the time, gonna snow tomorrow now....

So, i think it has 2 issues, worn valve springs, and not taking advantage of my lockup convertor on the street to lower the rpm range...

So, a 3200-3500 stall, what should it drop down to between gears unlocked...
BW

I get about 200 rpm drop on the 1/2 shift, and pretty much nothing at the 2/3 shift. Car just revs at 5500 the whole run until I lock the converter, then it drops 1000rpm.

I get about an 800 RPM drop at 1/2 and a 600 RPM drop 2/3 then about 875 RPM drop when the 5 disk converter locks.... starts locking @ 69 mph... when RPM quits dropping it is going 77 mph..... feels like you hit another nitrous kit.... :eek: I probably should do the mods to make my converter lock quicker... but I just stuck it in... it is going stay that way probably until I swap the tranny out in a few months or so (hopefully not sooner).

Thanks guys, guess i will relocate my lockup switch and look into a new set of springs...
I was expecting more rpm drop between gears, guess i am not the only one...

BW

Protorque 3200 single disk 600rpm drop 1-2, 2-3. 700 rpm on lockup in 3rd.

Vigilante 3000 single disk 475rpm drop 1-2, 2-3. 650 rpm on lockup in 3rd.

drop

I believe if you take it farther than 5000 --say 5500 you will have a greater drop in rpm. If I take minne to 5600 it drops to 5000. If I take it to 5800, it drops to 5000. Take it to 5700 in third and lock convertor it drops to 4900. Has a lot to do with convertor stall.

You can experiment with the lockout solenoid by installing a switch between the tan/black wire at the tranny connector(or ALDL), and a good ground. That will let you lock the TC whenever you desire. The computer provides a ground to the solenoid that allows it to actuate. You'll do the same by throwing the switch. If you tap into the wire(don't cut it), the TCC will still work normally. ;)

I lock my converter up after doing a burnout. Doing it this way, it won't lock until it shifts in to 2nd gear. Around 35MPH.

I let the car shift by itself. It shifts in to 2nd at 5500RPM and drops to around 4200RPM. It shifts in to 3rd at 5000RPM and drops to around 3500RPM. I cross the line at 5200RPM on 26 inch BFG Drag Radials.

11.98@114

The motor and tranny are stock with 104k miles. I have an 9x11 3600 converter.

Lee Thompson said:
I believe if you take it farther than 5000 --say 5500 you will have a greater drop in rpm. If I take minne to 5600 it drops to 5000. If I take it to 5800, it drops to 5000. Take it to 5700 in third and lock convertor it drops to 4900. Has a lot to do with convertor stall.

I understand what you are saying thou, the higher the stall speed, the higher rpms you will stay during a shift, if your not running over the convertor like WSLN 6 is.

Problem is, my car doesnt make any more power above 4800 rpm,so in my situation going past 5000 is actually going to slow it down... i would think... the horsepower drops drastically above 4800.... see dyno sheet.... That stock cam is killing me, well, so is the turbo intercooler maf and mufflers! :biggrin:
If i can keep it between 3800-4800 during most of the run, i think that is the sweet spot for my combo, or at least max out what ive got so far till something finally breaks on this motor!!!!!!!!!!!! :o
Or until i can start making more power from 4000-5200, but its just not there....yet... still working on that.

rodman99999- i have one, just need to relocate it where i can lock it in the middle of second gear.

justabuickv6- I would do that, but i cant keep the tires from spinning when the convertor is unlocked rolling in second.

salvageV6- thank you appreciate that!

Thanks again guys
BW

Attachments

• 100_2715 (Small).jpg
    100_2715 (Small).jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 93
Back