How many spark plugs do I need for my Buick?

I'm gonna buy this crusty turbo Buick and part it out. Its not a gn so its not gonna be worth anything.

Did you check the air pressure in your tires,you might have a flat.

Well, I leave them flat for better traction. The car just revs. Some guy told me the stock trannys are junk and offered me $50 for mine. He even took it out!! I'm going to swap in a Turbo 350 and see if that fixes it.

I frequent many boards because I have a Mopar, TB, CJ5 jeep and a couple of Pontiacs. It's all the same on every board with trivial posts. Of all the boards I'm by far the dumbest here and on the Mopar boards years ago when I was racing I was a go to guy because my car was real fast for what it was. I said that to say this politely and with respect to you guy's. I've never seen a post like this on any of the other boards, ever. I wanted to ask about a spark plug opinion for my TA headed stroker yesterday but I didn't because I read this thread. I contacted Nick in a private message and got my answer. Now no one else will get Nicks knowledge.

How many threads have we seen in the last year wondering where everyone went? why is the board activity so low etc.

I know there are some posts that have us scratching our heads and we don't have all the info needed but some people don't know what info you need and for whatever reason overlooks the obvious. I might be one of those guys once in a while but that's how you learn. Now if I get belittled to many times I just won't come back to the board. I'm learning as I go and some day I'll be an asset on this board for knowledge from my experiences, current and past. I probably have more experience with hot rods etc than most guys but this is my first computer controlled boosted application. There's more to this than slapping on a carb, dumping in some race gas and cranking timing to get to the end of the quarter mile in one piece.

Let the flaming begin and I hesitated to post this but I just had to.

Well said Barracuda. Years ago I had a head injury and I forget as much as I ask. Thankfully there are a few members that put up with me and my repeated questions.

Honestly, this is one of the more friendly boards for newcomers. Most of the other boards I've been on have resulted in me getting replies of "search noob" when asking a question. You really don't see that here. You guys need to understand it is not the beginner questions that we are making fun of. It is the guy who ends up fighting the experts every step of the way because he knows better....even though he asked a basic question in the first place. The biggest issue I see is tech threads where someone asks a basic "what's wrong" question with the car without any data. Not a problem yet. The veterans respond asking the OP to give more data, request more diagnosis, or check a few more things. This is the point where things can go sour. Instead of taking the advice, the OP gets upset because nobody has a quick answer, or goes off on a tangent and starts to throw random unrelated parts at it to fix the problem because he does not like the advice....then goes off about how this car is junk and can't be fixed. It's the folks who come on here, but yet close their ears to any attempt at help that feeds this thread.

I've met these types in person. There was a flood of them running around at car shows a few years back. I'd be there with my GN and a guy would come up to me and tell me how he was surprised mine was still on the road. I'd ask why. Then I'd get the story of "I bought one of these in the mid 90's. Put a big turbo, 3:73 spool on it, TH400, ripped out the AC, and cranked up the boost. I ran a 15 sec 1/4 mile and blew the motor on the 2nd pass. What a piece of crap that was" I'd try to explain that with proper care, planning, and bolt-ons only these can run 11's and lower all day long. They would just shut me out even though I am standing in front of living proof.

You also have to know that some of the veterans around here are in their 60's to 80's even and at this point are salty dogs. You need to have thick skin when talking to them, but they have a wealth of knowledge that they share. Even if they think you are a dummy because of something you did to your car that they don't agree with, it's ok. Most here would not fully agree with my build, but I'm happy with it and it holds its own. I still do listen to what they recommend so down the road I can change it up a bit based on their recommendations if I choose. :)

I love this thread. I go to it quite frequently just to get a quick laugh!

I see the threads that you mentioned where the OP doesn't take direction and I get that. Most of the time the advice given is beyond their abilities so they grasp for and easier solution.

I also see "do a search" a several boards which doesn't make sense to me either. Here's why. I do a search quite a bit here just to study up. I always search most recent first. Sometimes my most current thread is 2011. There may be new information or products on the market today that wasn't there in 2011. If I see a thread that is redundant I just don't read it. Why take the time to tell a noob to do a search?

It's not always how the teacher teaches that educates the student, it's how the student has the ability to learn. With me you show me a picture or a video and I'm good. Give me a set of instructions on a piece of paper and forget about it. That's why I would read 5 different threads on setting the cam sensor. One of them may explain it in the way I learn the best. To me more is better.

I wish I had a nickel for every time I've made a mistake in life I could have avoided because I didn't ask for advice first.

Barracuda: Don't take it so seriously. This thread seems like harmless shenanigans. You have to admit that some people ask some really stupid questions.

On the other hand, I would not discourage someone from asking questions. I think what the "old timers" complain about is the way questions are asked or the way the advice is received.

If I ask a question, I want to give as much info as possible (ie: what I already tried, what I've read, what my current specs or numbers or whatever are) so, that people can make an informed guess.

I've seen a lot of new people ask questions without providing much info and then getting angry when they're asked questions in order to help diagnose. (sometimes, the recommendations are odd but these are turbo buicks so sometimes the fix is odd as well.)

The more annoying stuff I see is in the sale section. Guy wants to buy a rust free, modded, good running, nice paint car with low miles for $3k. Then they get pissy when you tell them that it's probably not realistic.

Honestly, most of here are just trying to help and we offer advice based up our stupid mistakes and experience. Just trying to help people avoid costly mistakes.

Last edited:
Oh I'm not taking it to heart at all and you're right a lot of people chimed in with fun comments.

I know some people have questions that make you wonder sometimes.

I have those questions every time I call my computer buddy, my Aunt the accountant, my buddy who does construction, my neighbor who's yard looks like bush gardens. I had to ask him how to kill dandy lions and grow grass. On a horticulture board I'd get flamed off the internet. My point is simple, if the OP doesn't know it's a "stupid" question then it's not a stupid question.

Now my neighbor will the killer lawn comes to me when he has car issues and I take care of him. It's give and take. The guy that can't check tire pressure but wants to join in I say throw him a beer and welcome him. He'll be the one to get the cookies or fireware or whatever that stuff is that makes your computer go goofy. And he'll make it look easy!

This is a buick site.I was only coming here for the shenanigans.
Sorry guys last one!
Don't forget there is only 1 stupid question, it's the one you didn't ask.

The problem is most of these guys won't even put in an effort to search for an answer to their problems or questions. Can't even put in their own time to learn about their new pride and joy. That tells me they really have no real interest in the car or cars in general. Fuck if this was yellow bullet or another like forum they'd be crying.

Yeah, to do my fuel system, I had to teach myself online what the difference in 37 vs 45 degree fittings, metric w/oring, inverted flare, JIC, SAE, AN oringed, AN, what is AN in inches. I found some helpful posts using the google trick of searching whatever text here to search on then typing site:turbobuick.com But mostly I bought too many fittings and had to make multiple orders. I certainly learned the difference in 37 vs 45 real quick when one adapter fitting was close to $30 each...

I search google most of the time. Whatever my question is then I put 1987 Grand National. I always find posts linking to here and the other forum. I've found lot's of good stuff doing it that way. I just save them to my favorites so I can get to them easily when I need them.

I hate that that guy is wearing a myrtle beach shirt! He is funny look at his Camaro video... the Camaro actually looks serious

I hate that that guy is wearing a myrtle beach shirt! He is funny look at his Camaro video... the Camaro actually looks serious