You can type here any text you want

How much fuel pressure bleed down after key off is normal?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

John Larkin

Sublime Master of Turbology
Search function in not working so here goes. My idle FP is 40-41, something like that. After I drove it today I checked it after dinner 1 hour 15 minutes later. It had fallen to 24 sitting in the garage not running of course.

Is this normal bleed off through the fuel pump? I am still concerned about the condensation I found in my oil a couple weeks ago and am now wondering if the injectors are leaking fuel past the rings into the oil that might be causing it.

Oil doesn't smell like gas and I never get more out from an oil change than I put in though the oil seems to have a different, sweeter smell (and my imagination is probably contributing some). I changed the oil one more time yesterday to make sure I got all the goo out and the oil was quite brown for a fresh oil change that had only seen 4 warm up cycles with no driving. It is clean on the dipstick though which is very odd, maybe just a little sooty as I have noticed since converting to E85.

The fuel pressure drop is normal after shutting the engine off, i've seen it drop to zer0 psi anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 hours with different fuel pumps or on different cars after turning the engine off. But that doesn't mean there couldn't be a problem with a fuel system as to where it is bleeding off to like you mentioned.

When you change the oil not all of the old oil gets drained out due to the way they welded the oil drain plug bung/fitting into the oil pan, i'm not sure what the amount of old oil is left though,but that could explain the discoloring of the new oil that you are seeing.

You can always send the injectors out to be cleaned and inspected. Probably not a bad preventive measure. Chuck has shown some pictures of injectors from E85 that were scary.

Back