How Much To Make My 88 Monte Ss Have A Buick V6 Turbo And Trans

Is your current cam a flat tappet?

Hydro or mechanical?

I have a 400 sbc I want to build up to have a mild lope to it, but make TONS of torque and horsepower.

to answer your question , I used a comp hydraulic flat tappet cam with a .280 duration

hard to beat an SBC for "bang for the buck"....

just my 2 cents...

It's pretty hard to beat an SBC for "bang for the buck". It's a rock-solid engine design with absolutely the MOST aftermarket parts availability. back before I bought my first turbo Buick, I built many SBC's in the garage. even at only 17 years old I could throw together a 350 with lots of power that was pretty much indestructible. that was 20 years ago (yikes! :eek: ) and there wasn't nearly as many trick SBC parts then as there is now.

at one time I did own an '86 Monte SS and an '86 T-type at the same time. On many occasions I'd stand in the driveway staring at the two cars and seriously considered putting the T-type drivetrain in the Monte SS, but I was in college at the time and didn't have time or money for that kind of project. That '86 T-type was my first turbo Buick. I'm on my third now ('87 GN) and honestly, if I keep having the same problems with this Buick as I've had with the previous two - I'm going to sell it and just build a really stout SBC and then look for something to put it in.

Dont get me wrong, the turbo Regals can be BIG fun to modify, cruise, show and of course race, but IMO, you've got to have farily deep pockets to build one properly and keep it together if you hammer on it very much. Other members will probably disagree, but I say that based on my own personal experiences.

It sounds like you've already got a nice Monte, I'd keep modifying the SBC (or start from scratch on a new engine) until you get it where you want it. Sit down with a Summit catalog and drool over all the SBC parts - you'll be inspired! ;)

The only other swap I'd suggest you or any other G-body owner consider is and LS motor swap. There's already kits available although from what I've seen you have to modify the front cross-member which I would assume is a PITA, but when you're done you'd have an awsome powerplant in an awsome package. just something to think about.

Rob