You can type here any text you want

How Much Would You Pay For New SII HEADS?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

SGRIM

Owner/Admin TB.com
Staff member
Just wondering what you guys would be willing to pay for bare Stage II Buick heads?

Are you thinking about selling a set or having new ones made?

If you are thinking of having new ones made thats cool but I wouldn't be interested because of the costs of all the other pieces needed to make them work that aren't necessarily growing on trees. If you were to have some fuel injected intakes and headers made as well then you'd have my business. It would also help if the racing classes other than TSS that don't allow Stage2 heads or intakes would start allowing them and maybe make them run more weight like they do with aluminum heads. Imagine the mad scramble that would create going into the next racing season.:D

No, that would be nice but I am to broke for that;)

Kinda of a group buy thing on some I found... Bare Buick Heads from GM...

Problem is there are enough fully done ported ones for decent money its hard to start with fresh ones.
But some people like them that way also

about 4 years ago I paid $250 for a set of virgins, I played hell getting $350 out of them. like Otto said there are so many out there that are already done.

The problem is that the ports are small on virgin S2 heads - you're talking about at least another $1500 in labor to get them ported out to where they need to be for a serious engine plus the supporting hardware. I think 300-400 would be about the limit on virgins. Problem with the used stuff out there is that there are some good ones and then there are some hacked up/epoxyed POS ones as well - getting harder to find the good ones - FWIW

Well anybody that has raw sets they want to sale for $250-350 please let me know:eek: There are only so many new ones left through GM but they are ALOT more than that;)

At the rate I'm going with my engine "freshening" - I may HAVE to start over with some new virgins.:eek: I had one head making water that is unrepairable and have been through 3 other used sets since but all of them have pressure testing issues of some kind.

This is the main problem when dealing with S2 stuff - hard to find GOOD used stuff that hasn't been USED UP. I don't think it would be a bad idea to stuff away one or two pairs of new virgins in case you need them someday - unless someone decides to do the tooling to make us some new ones (and I don't see there being enough demand for that) they're going to start getting even harder to find as far as good usable stuff goes.

got a good set of aluminum S2 heads-2.08" int -1.65" exh--complete with valves,springs,T&D rockers,valve covers,also have new edelbrock intake with them.- $1500.OBO.

New heads, new virgin, never touched heads is what I am referring to!

This is the main problem when dealing with S2 stuff - hard to find GOOD used stuff that hasn't been USED UP. I don't think it would be a bad idea to stuff away one or two pairs of new virgins in case you need them someday -

My thoughts exactly.

300 bucks for a rare, new, out of the box set of the best heads ever developed for the Buick V6, TO DATE! Top of the line racing class quality. You're kidding, right? What does a bare set of TA SEs go for? And they don't even come close to the same level as a Stage II head. Sorry, but I think someone is smoking something.

To come up with a price like that just goes to show that some don't have a firm grasp of the superior design put into those heads. For that kind of price, might as well go down to the local junk yard and yank a set off a junker. Yeah, right!

Some are more serious about wanting to make some big HP.

My thoughts exactly.

300 bucks for a rare, new, out of the box set of the best heads ever developed for the Buick V6, TO DATE! Top of the line racing class quality. You're kidding, right? What does a bare set of TA SEs go for? And they don't even come close to the same level as a Stage II head. Sorry, but I think someone is smoking something.

To come up with a price like that just goes to show that some don't have a firm grasp of the superior design put into those heads. For that kind of price, might as well go down to the local junk yard and yank a set off a junker. Yeah, right!

Some are more serious about wanting to make some big HP.
SUpply and demand also Don,IF there is 1000 sets to sell or even 100 sets,you haev to find racers that have a use for them.
95% of Buick racers will never use heads of this caliber.
Also by the time your done with them from bare castings you will have TA or Champion money in them also but now your stuck with needing custom intakes and custom headers...
This ALMOST makes them worth more for the scrap

SUpply and demand also Don,IF there is 1000 sets to sell or even 100 sets,you haev to find racers that have a use for them.
95% of Buick racers will never use heads of this caliber.
Also by the time your done with them from bare castings you will have TA or Champion money in them also but now your stuck with needing custom intakes and custom headers...
This ALMOST makes them worth more for the scrap
Like you said, only a hand full of people are willing to put forth the effort and resources to wring out every last bit of HP from the Buick V6. To those very few, the Stage II head is the holy grail. There is no substitute. Period! To suggest that a stage II setup should be affordable to the average Buick racer is rediculous. This is for high end HP makers only. If you don't have the cash, buy Champion or TA. Stay away from Stage II. HP = $. That never seems to change.

Shane,

I have a very reputable CNC head porter quoting me on CMM'ing a pair of nicely ported S2 heads and cleaning up the scan for good cutter pathes. If I can have that done and not break the bank, duplicating the ports and chambers will be simple on virgin heads. I have one pair, and I'd like to find another virgin set.

Question: Is there a difference in castings between T&D and Jesel equipped heads?? The heads I want scanned are Jesel equipped........I assume that the ports and chambers will be identical to the T&D castings???

I'll keep you posted on what I learn.

BTW, What did GM want for a virgin head? I though they were all gone??

Perhaps I can use my GM discount to get a better price. GM is looking for all the cash they can generate right now!!;)

Back