You can type here any text you want

How rare is this one?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

HighMileage

Albany,NY
My little brother (41) wants a Turbo Regal. So,today we looked at a mostly unmolested gray '86 T-type hardtop.

It was sort of strippy. Had pw/pl,delay wipers,AC. It also had a 60/40 split bench and column shift. No lighted visor,no twilight sentinel,no digital dash.

It has a small aluminum bottle that someone used as a crude alky kit. That signaled trouble to me.
There also is a remote oil filter behind the pass side headlights.

The car has chromed bumpers,but blacked out trim.

With the options I described,how rare is this car?

Thanks!

I'm really tempted to buy it. My brother is bored with his '12 300 SRT-8 daily driver,and wants something to drive to the local track and race besides the 300. Besides,it costs a whole bunch to make those faster.

Now he's thinking about a new Shelby Mustang as his toy/race car instead.

"I'm not spending hours on my back under an old car."

Here is the rpo tag:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    802 KB · Views: 71
That aluminum bottle is an original Jay Carter alky kit I am guessing I installed a few of those back in the day. :)
Mike

He ran a carfax on it. Apparently there is no history before 38,000mi. It has about 60k now.

"I'm not dealing with rusty nuts and bolts!" The car isn't really that rusty. I looked at it. The usual door rust can barely be seen. Light surface rust in frame...

Yesterday he mumbled that he might get one of those new Cadillac CVS's with the corvette mill and manual tranny.

Keep in mind that working on cars is not his thing. So,we know who is gonna get the phone call.

I was tempted to buy it,but I'd rather sink that into my GN for a new exhaust,valve springs,Alky...a trip to Cottons?!

Chances are I will be posting it in this group so that it goes to a good home.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 90
I would say it was my old 86T, but mine didn't have rear defrost. And a lot more miles.

you don't buy one of these cars unless you either like working on the car more than you drive it or you can afford to pay someone to work on it more than you drive it. this is a good general rule for anything more than about 15 years old.

I don't know about that last comment. My 1966 nova is way older than 15 years and it sits in the garage until the weekends and I pull it out an wash it and drive to local car shows or to dinner. Don't ever have to work on it. Just get in an go. :) but every car does require work just depends how much stuff you want to fix or just let it go till the car dies.

I don't know about that last comment. My 1966 nova is way older than 15 years and it sits in the garage until the weekends and I pull it out an wash it and drive to local car shows or to dinner. Don't ever have to work on it. Just get in an go. :) but every car does require work just depends how much stuff you want to fix or just let it go till the car dies.

i come at it from the perspective of someone that won't own a car that i won't get in and drive anywhere at any time... garage/show queens and weekend cruisers aren't really in my vocabulary.. but is there anyone on this site that doesn't have to deal with something being wrong with their TR's at almost any given time?

Have a good point. I'd drive it anywhere if needed but have other cars to drive daily. My GN trashed main an rod bearings so I'm rebuilding that motor haha seems like these motors need more attention than most.

seems like these motors need more attention than most.
That's because of questions like "what is that loud popping noise at WOT under 20lbs of boost on my stock motor" or "how much knock can my motor stand, it only does it at WOT". If you are willing to learn about these engines and treat them properly they will give you many miles of fun, and dependable driving and good fuel mileage as a bonus.
If his list of cars is that broad, lead him quickly away from the TR, you'll be doing both of you a favor!

AS far as rarity, I guess its all relative. Is it a high buck Regal with sought after options? No, but it is unusual and different from most IC Turbo Regals. Split bench and column shifter make it that way and make it interesting to me.

I like'em because they are different and suit my rear end fine. Look around here and you might find complaints about the comfort of the bucket seats. Some guys might also say privately that it's not just another GN if they're feeling independent.

It might even kind of escape the usual attention a GN might get, and fly under the radar at the car show and on the street. A law enforcement friend who goes back a few years and maybe should have known or remembered, didn't know the "T or T-Type" was the same under the skin as "a GN." The important thing is it can fly if you want.

Another note is that it might not be as expensive as a GN up front.

I think all the 86 T Types came with blackout trim. Somebody will buy it, for sure.

This car is not for you're brother that's for sure. I wouldn't push him to buy it. It looks like a very nice car though. Hopefully someone buys it, loves it, and cuddles it.

Back