You can type here any text you want

How to check crank sensor?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Can anyone tell me how to check a crank sensor on 87 t-type?

If you're checking the clearance: It should be .025" on either side of the interrupter ring. It you're asking about it's operation: Scan your engine's RPM. If it's reading erratically- You may have a bad crank sensor. A bad crank sensor can cause hesitation, stumble, dieseling and general loss of power.

No scantool and car wont start, I was checking to see if there is a way to check crank sensor with test lite or voltmeter?

No scantool and car wont start, I was checking to see if there is a way to check crank sensor with test lite or voltmeter?

I suppose you could hook a multimeter set to Ohms, up to the sensor's terminals and turn the engine with a breaker bar on the balancer bolt. If the Hall Effect switch is closing(major resistance drop) when the interrupter's window is in it: it's working. You can still have spark with a bad crank sensor, BUT- a "no start" condition is also a possiblity. It would actually be as easy to just replace it. They aren't very expensive.

I don't think my previous suggestion would work anyway. There are three wires to the sensor(10V source, ground and signal) the Hall Effect "switch" is varying the voltage by grounding it, and the C3I module is seeing this as a "high/low" square wave signal. That's how it determines the engine's RPM. I guess the best way would be to test for voltage swings at terminals 'F' and 'G' of the C3I module, or terminal "F" and any good ground(while someone else is cranking the engine).

Back