how to fix a Sears torque wrench?

GNRick

Retired member
The handle broke. Wrench cost me $75 and only used it sparingly. Had a one year warranty and Sears won't take it back as I bought it around 3 years ago. They sell a new handle for $8. anybody know how to replace the handle? This is the type where you turn the handle to the desired torque value. It's 1/2 inch drive. Thanks.

Sears has lifetime warranty on their Craftsman brand hand tools. Take it to Sears for exchange.
I read the rest of your post & am a little surprised at their lack of customer support.

Go back to Sears, talk to the store manager and tell him/ her that you would like to trade it for a new one. If they say no tell them that your next call is to corporate. Ask nicely for the number to the stores district manager. I'll bet instead of the number you will get a new torque wrench. In today's retail environment no company wants lose even one customer.

Apparently the life time warranty only applies to hand tools with no moving parts, like box wrenches. The hardware manager would not assist me. He gave me the store manager's name but I haven't spoken to her yet. They are pretty sure I just broke it from over using it. He even told me if I used it in a shop setting, the warranty would be 90 days, not one year. The damn piece that broke is made out of plastic. What did they expect? Next time I'll know better what to look for.

Really? Thats bull crap. I just replaced my huge 3/4 ratchet at sears. They honored the warranty. I have gone back for many tools of theirs!

They won't honor the replacement? Two years ago I replaced my 3/8 ratchet because it started to slip. No questions asked. Did the policy change or something?

they dont warranty torque wrenches , havent for years
i had a couple all chrome 1/2" that were 25 yrs old (would be 35 now) and they said no back then.
or try the digital ones , they arent warranteed either past 90 days ..the repair cost starts at $175.00 once its out of warranty , total BS ...

, sockets , wrenches no problem , on common ratchets they wanted to give me a refurb in exchange

even husky (home depot) that started out with lifetime exchange and even were willing to take craftsmen in and exchange for new husky no longer offer replacement without mailing the part in unless you're turning it in and willing to wait for a replacment to be mailed out to you.
unless its a ratchet handle thats on the shelf individual packaged and the part #s match you're SOL

if you want service buy snap-on

Sears has lifetime warranty on their Craftsman brand hand tools. Take it to Sears for exchange.
I read the rest of your post & am a little surprised at their lack of customer support.

They won't honor the replacement? Two years ago I replaced my 3/8 ratchet because it started to slip. No questions asked. Did the policy change or something?

One year warranty on torque wrenches and power tools is the way it has been for years.

They will attempt to offer you a "rebuilt" ratchet for exchange. If you raise enough cane, they may let you exchange for a new ratchet. This policy has been in force for years, but has been more aggressively pursued since K-Mart bought Sears.

There' must be some bad quality craftsman tools getting sold the last few years. I have a tool set I bought 7 yrs ago and anyone that knows me knows that I'm not nice with my tools. Same goes for the torque wrench, which is the same as yours. About 4 years ago I bought one of those cheap compresser/air tool combos. The air ratchet and hammer have been used very hard with success. The 1/2 impact didn't last a week. It's hard to find good quality tools of any kind unless you buy professional stuff

I'm curious as to how it broke? I've got both the 1/2" and 3/8" torque wrenches that I've been using for nearly a decade with no problems, although at this point it might be a good idea to have them recalibrated . . .

I used to buy Craftsman torque wrenches (twist-handle click-to-torque), but they kept breaking, one after the other, no warranty coverage. It was pretty disappointing. all the little parts would just pop out of the handle. so finally I bit the bullet and stepped up to Snap-on for my torque wrenches. Pricey indeed, yup. though, haven't regretted that yet, been a worthwhile investment for over 10 years, probably going on 20.

for my ratches, sockets, wrenches, it's still Craftsman, although the other name brands, and occasional Harbor Freight stuff is starting to creep into my tool box.

it is indeed "buyer beware".

I'm curious as to how it broke? I've got both the 1/2" and 3/8" torque wrenches that I've been using for nearly a decade with no problems, although at this point it might be a good idea to have them recalibrated . . .

I picked it up to use it and noticed the plastic ring at the tip of the handle was loose. I turned it and it fell off along with a couple metal clips under it. It was cracked in half.

Sooooo, does ANYBODY know how to replace the handle? I'd like to fix it for $8. Thanks.

I bought a TQFR-250 torque wrench from Snap-On 25 years ago and I LOVE it!!! I paid $165 and now it goes for $300....but still worth it. You can buy 5 Craftsmans at $60 or one Snap-On for $300 and be done with it. I have a 3/8 Snap-On too, but a cheap Harbor Freight in.lb. one for the little stuff.

Ya gets what ya pays for !!

PM me you address so I can send ya $8 to get it fixed or better yet go buy a real tool and be done with it.

I picked it up to use it and noticed the plastic ring at the tip of the handle was loose. I turned it and it fell off along with a couple metal clips under it. It was cracked in half.

Sooooo, does ANYBODY know how to replace the handle? I'd like to fix it for $8. Thanks.

just looked at mine, looks like the end will come off. May try taking that cap off and see if it will come apart from there. Mine is at least 15-20 years old, never had a problem with it.

Spend the $8.00.. Fix it. Then wonder how accurate it is??? U R kidding, right??