how to fix a Sears torque wrench?

I have a half way decent 1/2" that works but I went back to get it calibrated & they dont do it & didnt know who does. Its the Canadian version of Husky or Craftsman & cost me $125 with one year warranty. Someone told me snap on will calibrate any brand for $20?
next time I would definately get a snap on if it ever breaks. Buy a good one the first time.
Always worth it in the long run.

I'd have to also say that even if you use it sparingly, it is nice insurance to have a quality tool you can trust for engine work. Get a snap on. I have mostly Craftsman tools myself and I DID have a crafsman tq wrench but I gave it away and got a better one.

I guess by not offering a warranty they expect people to go buy it.. use it.. and return it for their money back :eek:

Even the cheapo tq wrenches they sell at Advance Auto have a lifetime warranty.

I pryed the cap off the end of the wrench and removed the handle. Looks like I'll buy the new handle for $8 and see what happens. I went to Oreilly's and they have one in stock for $26. It really has a lifetime warranty! I know it probably isn't as accurate as a good Snap On, but I would think it would be fine for ball joints and header bolts.

There is an allen bolt inside. That is what sets up the TQ and how the tool is calibrated. When you change the handle, it is the tension on that allen that needs to be setup. So if you get a calibrated tq wrench, you can then adjust yours. Or get it really close.

Hey for 26 that looks like a deal.

There is an allen bolt inside. That is what sets up the TQ and how the tool is calibrated. When you change the handle, it is the tension on that allen that needs to be setup. So if you get a calibrated tq wrench, you can then adjust yours. Or get it really close.

Hey for 26 that looks like a deal.

Yes! I loosened the allen bolt and the handle unscrewed. So now I will need to get it calibrated? Can a Snap On dealer do that?

X2 !! throw it in the trash an call it a day !

X4 throw it away they are junk right out f the box.

Here is an example. A guy I work had our quality lab check his before he built his motor. It was out of calibration by +5 ft lbs at 80 ft lbs then got worse as torque setting was decreased. Our quality lab has all the equipment to calibrate several torque tools, as they do it on a regular bassis. They couldn't get his new craftsman (non digital) to be with in 2.5 ftlb across the range of the tool.

My snap on tools are always with in +\- .25 ftlbs across the range.