How to fix loose pull straps

aminga

Chicks Dig the powerbulge
We all know the problem. The pull straps get loose you take covers off tighten them and they get loose again.

GM put the pull straps directly into the door panels using sheet metal screws. After 27 years they look like this.

To fix this you need a threadsert kit. I got a decent marson kit from summit racing.

Using a step drill drill the hole out to the size recommended in the insert. Get this right because the insert has knurl's that need to grab the sheet metal.

Pop the insert in place and then tighten a bolt down in it.

All better now. You can actually pull on the pull straps.

For those that don't know a threadsert is like a pop rivet but instead of a plug in the center it's got threads so you can put a bolt in it to hold things in place.;) Nice write up Alan.:cool:

In doing this I found it helps to pop the insert in place and then tap it with a ball peen hammer before putting the bolt in it for the first time.

I can sacrifice one or 2 inserts for the sake of science.

Said insert in it's unmolested form

On the tool before it's set.

Locked in place. FWIW the material was too thin for this insert. But it's easier to see on the big inserts

Very cool idea to fix stripped holes...now if I can only figure out which Marson kit to buy! :confused:

I welded a nut to the door with my MIG - works like a charm. Would have gone nutserts if I didn't have a welder.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

HA ! I just did this to my car and thought about doing a write up, but not till i had already fixed one of the holes. My tool is from Harbor Freight, and uses an aluminum insert. I went with the one that takes a 10-24 bolt. Worked great, and like the OP says, now you can use the damn pull straps !

Good write up !

I did this with the door panels still on. Needed some trimming inside the Escutcheons. Worked great. The hardest part was finding the damn tool.