How to mount the front fenders

kevinm

the front fenders where taken off by my dad, can anyone tell me how to mount them back ? a pic would be great. thanks

I just took some rusted wrinkled hunks off each side so...

I guess the reverse process is...
  1. Attach fender liner to fender
  2. Attach wheel well liner to fender and fender liner
  3. Drop fender (whole thing with the above sections) into place - mock up position - shims, antenna leads, U-nuts etc.
  4. Find fender to radiator support brackets and position them
  5. Once everything is hung start finding bolt holes, U-nuts and attachment points. bolts, nuts and binder twine.
Note that fender assembly attaches with two bolts into door jamb (high and low) and with one bolt run up into a sheet metal box (& U-nut) at the bottom of the fender. The front attaches to the radiator support in two places if I remember correctly - and man I hope I do cause my reinstall day is coming!#?!:eek:

Hope you have enough fasteners. Go slow - thats easy to say as its the only speed I know here. :redface: I think U-nuts applies to me. Hopefully I'm not too old to learn.

The reason 1. 2. & 3. are assembled together is ... there are some impossible to reach fasteners low on the wheel well liner. Maybe someone has other suggestions.
HTH,
dwall

I may have some pics - I'll look later.

Here are the only pics I could find.

I should have taken more.

As you can see as I could get at fasteners, I removed bolts and moved things around & first took the wheel well liner off, then the fender and last the fender liner in this case (as the bolt at the door jamb box location was impossible. Well not impossible - about two minutes with a hack saw and everything was off.) :biggrin:

I am undoing the carcass with the idea that it will help me in reassembly - fingers crossed!

HTH - Bob

Attachments

• dash_fender_disassembly 001.JPG
    dash_fender_disassembly 001.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 107
  • dash_fender_disassembly 002.JPG
    dash_fender_disassembly 002.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 109
  • dash_fender_disassembly 003.JPG
    dash_fender_disassembly 003.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 106
  • dash_fender_disassembly 004.JPG
    dash_fender_disassembly 004.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 105
These are all the pics I could find.

I should have taken more.

As you can see in this case I took panels off as I could get at fasteners. The sheet metal box was impossible (well NOT impossible - a couple minutes with a hack saw and I was done!:biggrin: )

One pic shows something I forgot but is obvious - the bolt located at the dash corner was the first to go actually.

I'm undoing the carcas so I can see where things go and in what order. I will need all the help I can get when it comes to reassembling the tub & frame etc. I have been told I have a good memory - just too short! Hopefully the pics help you & me!

I'm happy to go over what I can. ?'s
HTH - dwall

Attachments

• dash_fender_disassembly 001.JPG
    dash_fender_disassembly 001.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 96
  • dash_fender_disassembly 002.JPG
    dash_fender_disassembly 002.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 96
  • dash_fender_disassembly 003.JPG
    dash_fender_disassembly 003.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 96