You can type here any text you want

HOW TO REMOVE FUEL TANK

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

john saleeby

Replacing my faulty fuel sending unit. Requesting advice/tips on removing tank and unit.

Gonna disconnect battery terminals, place on jack stands and remove tank straps. Gonna replace stock straps with stainless straps. Any advice on marking bolt locations so as to make strap re-install easier?

Cut a plywood piece, 18 inches by 18 inches to place under tank and on floor jack to distribute weight evenly. Mark hoses, disconnect hoses, then remove locking ring to allow pump and sending unit removal. Again any tips/advice appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Seems like you got yourself pretty well covered.

As for the bolts, no real need to mark them. There's a bolt/nut on the bumper side & a bolt/threadsert on the front side of the tank. Just be careful not to cross thread them on install.

Plywood to distribute weight is a good idea. I place my floor jack under a piece of wood, so just make sure ya don't bust trew the plywood. Great way to lower & raise tank.

Lines no need to mark them(cant hurt though). Biggest(feed), Middle(return), & outside/longest is vent).

My only tips would be to wait until the tank is as empty as possible. It's easier to move/jostle around. I would also(if ya haven't already) replace the hoses going to the sending unit & also replace the hoses up by the passenger package tray(under the metal shield.) Obliviously way easier with the tank out.

Just my $.02

Back