How to remove Glovebox plate?

dpok69

Dpok69@aol.com
I tried to remove my glovebox plate today to install a new guage plate. I cannot figure oput how it comes out. i unlatched the glovebox and put my hand behind the plate and felt sumthing like studs, but it had no threads in it.

I am baffled. Please help me.

It uses those push-on,washer retainer thingy's[you know,when they're on,they're a pain to get off].Take of the glove box door and the trim panel under the dash.I would pull the passenger's seat as well so you can lay on your back and look up.You'll thank me later.:)

Thanx alot, i figured it was gonna be a tough one. How do you remove those washer? With a flat head screwdriver wedged in? Or compressed with a needle nose? I could not see how the retainers looked, so i guess i will have to take that trim off, and lay on my back to see.

Would it be possible to just push the plate out from the back side with force my muscular arms?:)

Assuming we're talking about the trim plate above the glovebox,it's tight in behind the plate.A little brute force behind the tabs that hold it in should free it up.The best I can suggest is to look at it from below once the rest of the "junk"[:D ] is out of the car and decide from there.

I have done this.....

There are four posts that you will need to remove the metal washers from. If you take your horn button off your steering wheel and look at the two black washers on the back of the horn button, this is exactly what you are taking off. (Take it off by undoing the allen bolts at 9 and 3 o'clock)

The ones on the dash plate are easier to take off, since the plastic is softer. You will need to use a flat head screwdriver to pry up one side while you push in on the plate to get some space to get the screwdriver head in. Then pry the other side of the washer, and keep doing this till it pops off. You will need to do this for all 4 posts.

I have seen an 86 dash and and 87 dash, the 87's are all equal distance apart and in a straight line, and the 86's are equal distance apart but it will go one low, one high, one low, one high. The dash pads are made to accept either one. (I am basing this on the only 2 dash pads I have seen.. one from an 86 T and one from an 87 T)

Good luck....

Jack
Jack@Huisman.com