You can type here any text you want

How to tell if torque converter is original ?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

knox

The torque on my 89 tta wont lock up. How can I tell if the torque converter is original ? I read the turbo regals had a d5 stamped on them my converter only has a number 5 stamped all the way around it no letter d. It has a rectangle shaped sticker on it with the letters CBCF in the verticle position and the numbers 8653673 in the horizonal position. My local GM dealer did not have a listing for the 8653673 at all. Electrically everything checks good maybe it has a nonlocking converter ?

You have the stock convertor. Also what chip do you have? Not all chips lock the convertor.

Jason

Thanks for the info. I do not know what chip is in the ecm. I feel that the chip is for converter lockup because by fllowing the test procedures in the service manuel it shows that the ecm is sending correct signials to the trans. I even swaped the ecm from my gnx which the converter is lockling correctly into the tras am and vice versa. still wont lockup.The trans am ecm in the gnx lock the torque converter fine. The only other test procedures I have not done requires removing the trans from the car.

This might sound stupid but is the ATF low? Sometimes low fluid can cause the TC to not lock.

Jason

Yes The trans is full of fluid. One of the test procedures I have done required the remaval of the valve body so I installed a new filter and fluid. I replaced the tcc selonoid but the old one showed to be good electrically that still made no difference.

Have you checked the ecm sol fuse under the dash, this controls the stock boost solenoid, and is also power to the trans for convertor lockup.
How many miles are on the car.
What mph are you going up to, to varify tcc lockup, 65?

Yes that is the correct convertor

You have a new tcc solenoid, have you checked the 4 pin connector that is on the side of the trans?

EDIT: use a paper clip, ALDL ports upper left to upper right should lock the convertor.... Do that and let us know
BW

Yes I have tried grounding the aldl treminal while driving between 70-85 mph on the interstate. I did ckeck the electrical plug to the trans and it shows ok. All the fuses are good. Following the test procedures in the service manuel electrically everything is working correctly. Someone had sugested that the trans may have a non locking converter installed. The car has 43,000 miles on it. The service manuel does not suggest that the torque converter itself could be bad only electrical and fluid flow problems to the torque converter. Thanks for the help.

If everything electrically is working correctly, there is a possibility that someone has had the transmission out, and installed a non lock convertor with non lockup valve...
Then before they sold the car, installed the correct convertor back in, but did not remove the non lockup valve under the TCC solenoid.

Directly underneath the TCC solenoid is where someone would install the non-lockup valve.

Does it appear someone has had your transmission out before?
Does it appear that the convertor bolts have marks on them from someone removing them in the past?
43K on the stock convertor, it shouldnt be bad.... If you have power to the tcc solenoid, do you have a good ground to it? Have you checked the pins on the inside of the transmission at the 4 prong plug?

Hate to see you have to pull the pan back off to check...
BW

I will take a close look at the converter bolts. Is there any way to to check the converter valve in the pump with the trans in the car? If so how will the non lockup valve look different than the stock lockup valve ? Thanks. Knox

Its been a bit for me since ive done it..5 years?

The trans can stay in the car to see if it has a non lockup valve in it.

You probably should post in the trans section for the best answer

Remove the TCC solenoid, look in the hole, find the retaining c clip that will need to be removed. Pull the clip out, and there will be a round flat piece of metal,
Once you remove the round piece, there should be a long valve with 4 or 5 glands / ribs on it with a green or yellow spring.... That is the stock TCC lockup valve.

The non lockup valve is a slug instead of a valve with glands, and it also has a 1/8th inch round SPACER to take up the distance between the round flat piece and the slug
if there is a long thin 1/8th piece of metal to space out the distance inside the hole under the TCC solenoid, then it has the non lockup valve installed...

Honestly, i think if you try and lock a convertor with a nonlockup valve, bad things will happen inside the tranny... I think,... I dont have first hand experience, but know a guy who did, and the tranny was fubar.

BW

Back