You can type here any text you want

How to test used headers for leaks

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Will Rhoades

I have a set of stock headers that came with the GN when I bought it. I wanted to make sure these have no leaks prior to installing them. Can anyone give me any methods or ideas on how to test for leaks prior to installation? Someone told me to pour gas in them and see if it leaks. Not quite sure if this is the best test. Any input is appreciated!

We used water but I guess gasoline would work. Our test was done after my son welded up a crack on the stock piece

Maybe coolant dye in water?

Either way. I thought if it was wet on the out side it was leaking.

man man man lol usually the cracks are visible but if your eyes ain't that good a magnaflux is the only way to find a true crack or pinhole

Pressure test on a head. Make a tapered flange with a tapped hole in the end and bolt it to the header and pressurize it up to 60psi. Spray around with soapy water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He said prior to installing them?......Ive stuck a snake neck LED in through the hole in a dark garage to see where light shine out, make sure its at least a foot long so you can snake it in all the way up to the seems.

Tape up the ends real good and put in a container of water. If its leaking you will see bubbles.

Tape up all openings except one. Fart in it and then tape up the last opening. Bring it to your wife/significant other and ask her to see if she can smell anything 'funny'.

Tape up all openings except one. Fart in it and then tape up the last opening. Bring it to your wife/significant other and ask her to see if she can smell anything 'funny'.

And when she says "No, it just smells like our house", you'll never find a leak. Instead, put *fresh* air in it.

Spray brake parts cleaner in it. If there's a crack, I'll wick to the outside.

If the header tube's already filled with Nasty Wendy farts, light it with a lighter.

I have also heard of placing a smoke bomb inside and sealing up the openings. Sounds like a good idea as long as it doesn't snuff itself out too quickly.

I have also heard of placing a smoke bomb inside and sealing up the openings. Sounds like a good idea as long as it doesn't snuff itself out too quickly.
Or you can blow other kind of smoke:D:cigar:

Clay you are so right, not only can my wife smell a mouse fart, she can hear it as well. It forces me to make like horse shit and hit the trail.

Back