Huge Oil Leak

I'm sure it's the correct gasket. I'm going to pull it all on Wednesday and inspect the front cover more. I pulled everything and cleaned all surfaces one day, let it sit to dry overnight to ensure a clean surface, the next day I installed everything and let sit overnight, I then tried starting it and had the leak again. The area I observed that it leaked from when pulling the last time is on the bottom right near the two circular places next to the oil pump in the following picture. The oil bypass on the gasket was very obvious.
frontcoverback.GIF

When you put your next gasket on match the gasket to the passages. I know the pickup passage usually hangs over. It might not stop the leak, but it'll help flow. And it might keep it from leaking. FWIW I doubt it's just the gasket as I've never had a problem sealing these covers and if it was a gasket I doubt it would leak that quickly. Just a thought. james

I finally took a couple hours and took it all apart again today. Attached are a pic of the cover and the area I'm 99% sure it's leaking from. I have a feeling it's the top of the two large passages in the close-up, the one that's blocked off by the gasket and block. Everything looks good and I'm still stumped.

Attachments

• DSCI0402.jpg
    DSCI0402.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 432
  • DSCI0406.jpg
    DSCI0406.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 457
Did you ever find out what was the cause of the oil leak?
Mike
86 GN

I finally took a couple hours and took it all apart again today. Attached are a pic of the cover and the area I'm 99% sure it's leaking from. I have a feeling it's the top of the two large passages in the close-up, the one that's blocked off by the gasket and block. Everything looks good and I'm still stumped.

I'm looking at the large bottom hole on the close-up. Why does it look so mis-shaped and buggered up? Is it's surface even flat?

Damn. I read this entire thread, to find out it's unresolved. ;)
Hopefully we can find out how it went.
Guess I'll have to surf some of the other threads while I'm killing time at work. ha ha

you do know there are 2 types of gaskets for the front cover:confused: I use to get them in engine gasket sets .. both are very similar BUT not at the oil filter area:eek: .. did you try the gasket on the front cover or just put it on the block and bolted the front cover on ??

What's the difference at the "oil Filter" area?

Looks uneven

Like Turbodave said, these places look like they are uneven. To solve my problem like that I had to replace the whole front cover. I strongly belive that's what you may need to do.

Scot W.

Ive had big leaks on the front cover couple times.
Both simple things but hard to find where the oil was coming from
1. I missed the one bolt that's recessed in the cover. I believe its in the same area in the picture
2. The bolt that the passenger intercooler bracket uses. I used a standard bolt and it came loose so the cover leaked.
Replaced it with the bolt, one with the nut in the middle. then put the bracket back on and another nut

I bet the mating surface of the front cover that meets the block is warped, if you try a flat edge you will see it's not even. I believe that the gasket is getting pushed out either due to the crank case pressure or the oil that passes from the block to the front cover. The front cover will not enough clamping force at the area that is warped.

Just my $.02
Prasad

1.Look REALLY close for cracks..If the cover hangs up on the locator pin, and you torque it down, it'll crack...
2.I agree w/ the comments on the nasty finish around the holes.
3.Take it to the machine shop, and have them run it on the head dressing belt.. It'll be flat after that process.

I see his sig and it states 87 limited but man that cover sure looks like 14bolt?...dunno he either workin on another ride or my eyes playing tricks with me

I did not now you could leave the cam sensor in while removing the front cover. No adjustment needed then when its reassembled?

Nope...

I did not now you could leave the cam sensor in while removing the front cover. No adjustment needed then when its reassembled?

Unless you can be absolutely certain that the sensor gear does not move!!:eek:

Oh and I forgot. You remove the sensor so you can prime the pump when you are done.

If the engine is dialed into 25 degrees before TDC. I would advise re-setting the cam sensor regardless.

Update since I see the thread is still alive. I've installed a new timing cover from Earl Brown. See this link for timing cover Seems I was right in guessing my old one was somehow warped or cracked. I've driven the car about 50 miles so far with the new one and all is well. Small drop of a leak if the car sits for an hour or so, but I think that may still be from some of my spillage during the install and priming. So far so good, the car would've leaked after about 5 minutes after start up with the older cover- like a freaking faucet. I'm extremely happy to have it back in good working order again.