You can type here any text you want

HV Oil Pump Gear Length

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

OneQuikSix

Good evening everyone. I am wondering if anyone can tell me the exact length (or height) of their oil pump gears from a high volume kit. I think mine appear a little on the short side. After resurfacing my thrust plate for my oil filter adapter, I gauged the clearance to be between 0.0015" and 0.002" without a gasket. From what I've read, the final assembled clearance should be between 0.001" and 0.0015". Obviously, even if I add the thinnest gasket in the world, my clearance will be way off.

Tomorrow, I'll be searching the parts stores to measure their HV pump gears. I was just wondering if anyone else has come across such a situation.

BTW...my HV oil pump gears are exactly 1.121" tall in case anyone would like to know.

Thanks for any assistance!

Mine measure 1.123" so yours seem ok. It could be the pocket in your cover is too deep.

I am hoping that my gears are worn a few thousandths of an inch. That would be easier to overcome than modifying the cover. It's a high volume cover that is all one piece. Thanks for the reply.

Take a big long file to the cover & take it down a few thous. Maybe its not flat anyways so might as well check for high spots while its there. Also make sure you do the Earl Brown front cover mods to it.

I was wondering how difficult that woud be to do by hand. I'm worried about getting the surface completely flat. How do you go about using a hand file for the job?

I was wondering how difficult that woud be to do by hand. I'm worried about getting the surface completely flat. How do you go about using a hand file for the job?

You really can't do it with a file. Either get a competent machine shop to cut it or replace the cover. Those aftermarket covers have really poor tolerances in the machine work. :mad: That's why I don't use them.

You really can't do it with a file. Either get a competent machine shop to cut it or replace the cover. Those aftermarket covers have really poor tolerances in the machine work. :mad: That's why I don't use them.

You can go easy & at least hit the high spots. It may not make it 100% true but better than what it is. I do it all the time. Not saying go crazy on it but same as I do to headers & intake surfaces etc. 1-2 thous can easily be a few high spots. Just go slow & easy from every angle with light even pressure.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of using the stock cover from my engine (after performing the Earl Brown mods). The HV cover happens to be an extra that came with the new engine. Thanks for everyone's replies.

As long as the stock cover is in good shape, it will supply plenty of oil pressure when setup correctly. I'm not sure who Earl Brown is, but the Buick MotorSports book details all the mods you need to perform to the front cover.

Read and follow the instructions, They know their chit!! I prefer to use a cast iron wear plate between the cover and oil filter adapter. The cast iron won't score up like the aluminum adapter. I also like the adjustable oil pressure plug that TA perf sells. You can adjust the oil pressure upper limit pressure with this little item. Be careful because you can blow off the oil filter if you get carried away with this adjustment (especially if you block the oil filter bypass)

Another little item that I like to do is radius the 90 degree turn in the oil pickup passage (in the block) with a long ball end mill. This makes it easier for the pump to suck the oil up into the pump (every little bit helps).

The high-volume gears for the 350/V-6 oil pumps are the same as the standard oil pump gears for the 455. So if you need a new set of gears, just hop over to your local pars store and get a standard 455 oil pump kit.

Back