You can type here any text you want

Hybrid electronics

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

just plain john

El Camino a Go-Go!
Greetings all, I am hoping some of you can help. Here's the deal...bone stock LC2/200R4 drivetrain in an 81 Elco. I have the factory GN ECM and harness, and the Elco's underdash wiring will plug directly into it. I have no clue to the VSS issue, and the 'Check Engine' light (necessary for charging?) apparently never had a socket in it as it appears different than the other warning lights next to it. Anyway, long story short, can anyone tell me where I could research the electronic requirements for this swap? I've checked gnttype, and while it is a great tech resource it's Buick specific and not any help for my particular needs. Better yet, I'd like to hear specifics from other G body hybrid builders that would care to share knowledge/experience. Thanks.

The check engine light isnt for charging. The volt light allows the car to charge. I cant help you with anything else as I have a t-type :rolleyes:

John Spina at Caspers does have all the stuff you'll need.

To get the VSS working you'll need the sender for the trans that bolts in the place of the cable,Black box that cuts down the counts to be sent to the ECM.
The alternator to the single plug (brown wire) get's ignition on or as it would be in the GN harness.. it would go to the "BATT" bulb in the dash which has power going to it from the factory fuse block.
I would not rely on 81 under harness for plug and play to GN harness unless you go circuit by circut and verify that the two shair the correct power/grounds.
I've got all the factory GN harness pages.
~Scott

Thanks for the replies guys. Scott, I'm aware that I will have to change some of the pinouts but first I will need to research schematics for both vehicles. Drifter, I must be misinformed. I will have to look up some old posts, but I thought it was the SES light that enabled charging based on some I've read. I've got my work cut out for me it would seem. I'll also check with Mr. Spina about the VSS. Dan, you've done this before, no?

To hook up a factory harness it's not real bad.
Any Pink/Black get ignition on when crank/key on
Blk/White..ground
One Orange go's to hot at all times/batt+
Depending on your gauge package in the 81 all your stock wires going to the factory cluster will come out the drivers side connection and you'll use the stock Elky senders.
Thats' the basic stuff anyway.
~Scott

... I have the factory GN ECM and harness, and the Elco's underdash wiring will plug directly into it.

Here's the pinout and what needs to stay. You'll prolly need to swap some fo your Elky's wires around to match up.

52985d1216864754-aldl-wiring-c437conn.jpg

I'll have to check it when I get home, but the ALDL port on my 81 doesn't have as many ports as your diagram.

Well, I have the under dash harness from the GN but I haven't looked at it all that closely yet. Should be in there somewhere, right?

Back