You can type here any text you want

hybrid speedo/VSS questions

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

just plain john

El Camino a Go-Go!
I'm doing an El Camino/GN project, and would appreciate any opinion. The current speedo only reads 85 mph. Is it posible to alter that to something higher (say 145 :D )? Additionally, I don't understand the vehicle speed sensor. Will mine work or what? It/s necessary to have one for torque converter lockup, correct? I'm new to this so any help would be cool.

You do need VSS for lockup on the converter, but you can buy something from B&M that will get your lockup to work. Call Jimmy's Transmissions in mundeline, IL and he can tell you what you need.

I tried the VSS setup from Caspers and it was a POS and I was never able to get it working, so I'd cross that off your list.

Other than your converter, you only need it for picking up MPH on your scan tools. You can get a manual speedo.

Thats what I have.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Its been a while since I started the thread. I'll check out your suggestion. Anyone else able to contribute?

I'm doing an El Camino/GN project, and would appreciate any opinion. The current speedo only reads 85 mph. Is it posible to alter that to something higher (say 145 :D )? Additionally, I don't understand the vehicle speed sensor. Will mine work or what? It/s necessary to have one for torque converter lockup, correct? I'm new to this so any help would be cool.

Use an MCSS gauge cluster... at least it'll get you to 115 on the cheap! :biggrin:

Someone used to make a speedo recal kit and an overlay for the speedo... but I dont recall who it was/is.

Thanks for the tip, but what I'm trying to do is retain the stock dash as it is in good shape. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel, just trying to figure out how to get this all to work. This is my first hybrid project....heck, it's my first ecm equipped project. I initially was like 'WTF is a VSS?'. If only I'd known I would have salvaged the one from the GN. Maybe the El Camino boards would be a better place for the speedo question. Just for grins though, is there a link to the MCSS cluster you refer to? I'm unfamiliar with it.

Thanks for the tip, but what I'm trying to do is retain the stock dash as it is in good shape. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel, just trying to figure out how to get this all to work. This is my first hybrid project....heck, it's my first ecm equipped project. I initially was like 'WTF is a VSS?'. If only I'd known I would have salvaged the one from the GN. Maybe the El Camino boards would be a better place for the speedo question. Just for grins though, is there a link to the MCSS cluster you refer to? I'm unfamiliar with it.

The Monte cluster is a direct replacement for the one in your elky, so its not reinventing the wheel. If youre dealing with 1981 or later, VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) will be driven off the speedometer anyway. If the vehicle is 78-80 then the upgrade is almost mandatory to keep the Elky dash.

THere are a couple of suppliers that supply a transducer for VSS driven off the cable. JTR (Jags that run) used to market one, and my frined used one of their units to get his Hybrid Olds Omega (Nova) finished.

Sweet, I'll check it out. It's an 81 model and is vss equipped, but I've been told by someone more knowledgable than me that it puts out a different waveform and won't work. At any rate I'll see about the SS cluster. Thanks, I had no idea.

Sweet, I'll check it out. It's an 81 model and is vss equipped, but I've been told by someone more knowledgable than me that it puts out a different waveform and won't work. At any rate I'll see about the SS cluster. Thanks, I had no idea.

2 pulse and 4 pulse... and there are translators for the VSS signal to correct to what you need for your application.

Good luck with the swap bro.

I may just do a MCSS hybrid swap since I have both the LC2 donor and the MCSS roller taking up space at home... hehe

Back