You can type here any text you want

Hydroboost on an Intercooled TR?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Hot Air

E85 and S.E./Carolinas Moderator
Staff member
Has anyone installed a 84 hydroboost (V-Belt) on a 86-7 (serpentine belt)?
Conrad Carter

Hydroboost

I'm getting ready to drop a 87 setup into my 84 and keep the Hydroboost found an old post from cool 84 (10/14/01) that said it was easy jusy splice into the lines

Let me know how it goes. When are you planning to actually do the work?
Conrad

Any problems installing it? Did you use the serpentine pulley from the 86-7 power steering pump?
Conrad

Those of you that have already done this...did you use the 86-87 power steering pump or the 84 PS pump?
Conrad

Hydroboost

I going to get diagram and I will pass it on to you
I'm almost sure you use the 87 pump and hook it in

hydroboost install

I talked to POWERBRAKEBOB about the system he sells and he made no mention of changing the PS pump. I dont know if you are talking about making one from the parts store work or buying one thats set up for a TR. I have searched for days on the forums and havent found someone who actually runs hydroboost with anything negative to say...lots of posts from people who run VACUUM saying HB sux but I dont know how they figure that since they dont HAVE one in their car. I'm contacting PWRBRKBOB tomorrow to purchase his system. I have heard great things about his customer service and he told me himself that if I didn't like it he would refund my $ for any reason ...cant beat that. Alphaenviro, I'll tell you what I think in a week or so when I put it in how it does.

Guys,
I really appreciate your help. I had Bob at Power Brake rebuild by hydroboost (HB) 5-10 years ago and never re-installed it.

A little background so you aren't totally confused by my actions. I have an 84 GN that I subsequently installed an 87 engine w/intercooler. I installed vacuum booster from NA Regal and GTA 4 wheel master cylinder at that time and also went to B-car 12 " front and Baer rear disc brakes. The vacuum system has worked great for me but I have installed a bigger turbo and high stall torque converter and the rear disc simply aren't holding the car when the turbo starts cooking real good on the starting line at the drag strip.

I thought that re-installing the HB would solve my problems since itgenerates pressure that is significantly higher which SHOULD greatly enhance the rear disc holding ability.

My other options are transbrake (VERY expensive since the tranny MUST be built to take the abuse or boost control (again, expensive). Since I already have the HB...that seems to be worth a shot.

I have e-mailed Bob to see if I can use my GTA master cylinder and to get some other info. Bob has always been very helpful on these systems. He has been working on these systems for many years and I trust his judgement.

Conrad Carter
Albemarle, NC

Was it ever answer if you can put a 86-87 pulley on an 84-85 Hydraboost power steering pump unit? I'm building a hybrid and while the car orginally had vacuum brakes... it also has 4 wheel drums and a single circuit master cylinder not to mention its all 45yrs old or rebuilt since.

Thanks,

Back