hydroboost setup???

I have a 84 gn, and i know its not vacuum. How do I know whether its a hydroboost, or powermaster?

PM looks something like this:

PowermasterSetup.JPG

Hydroboost Conversion

You would be right. Hydroboosts and Powermasters overlapped in that model year. I have seen both. Most of those Hydroboosts are stilling humming along 25 years later.

I PMed bob a while back to get all the pricing but with all the PMing I've been doing the last few weeks it must have got deleted.

I don't think he'll post prices out in the open because he's not a registered vendor here.

I was just looking for a price range, I;m sure Bob will update things soon.

Hydroboost Conversion

At POWERBRAKESONLINE.COM THERE IS A BUTTON ON THE LEFT MARKED "CATALOG BROCHURE" CLICK THERE, AND THE COVER WILL APPEAR, CLICK ON THE COVER, AND ABOVE IT WILL APPEAR "NEXT" CLICKING NEXT WILL OPEN THE PAGES OF THE CATALOG. IN THE BUICK SECTION IS THE PART NUMBER "2772-211" THAT NUMBER INCLUDES THE MASTER. PART NO. 2773-211 IS THE HYDROBOOST LESS THE MASTER CYL. THE STAINLESS HOSE SET WITH ALL 4 SS HOSES IS 2775-601. THE BUDGET HOSE SET INCLUDES SS PRESSURE HOSES AND RUBBER TYPE RETURNS. PART NO. 2775-605. WE DON'T PUT ALL THE PRICES IN THERE AT THE REQUEST OF SUMMIT. IT MUDDIES THE WATERS TOO MUCH TO HAVE PRICING ALL OVER THE PLACE. THE PRICES I QUOTED FOR THE BUICK GUYS WAS DISCOUNTED TO OUR "JOBBER" PRICING. PRICING ON THE WEBSITE WOULD BE MUCH HIGHER DUE TO "ADVERTISED" PRICES ELSEWHERE. AS LONG AS THE FORUM DOESN'T MIND. I WILL LIST ALL THE PRICES HERE. I HAVE REBUILT POWERMASTERS, NEW MOTORS FOR P/MS, NEW AND REBUILT VAC BOOSTER CONVERSIONS, ELECTRIC VACUUM PUMPS, NEW AND REBUILT HYDROBOOSTS, AND ANY OTHER BRAKE PRODUCT FOR ANY VEHICLE IMAGINABLE, PLUS UPGRADES AND CONVERSIONS FOR MOST ANYTHING. WE HAVE HIGH POWERED BRAKE SYSTEMS FOR F350'S, SUBURBAN/TAHOES, JEEPS, 4X4'S, MOTORHOMES, AIR BRAKE VEHICLES, HANDICAPPED, DISNEYLAND RIDES, MILITARY VEHICLES, ETC. IT IS HARD TO INCLUDE EVERY BRAKE PART MADE FOR EVERY VEHICLE, AND EVERY YEAR, PLUS 4 DIFFERENT MODIFICATION SYSTEMS FOR ALL OF THOSE VEHICLES. WE JUST DESIGNED AND INSTALLED OUR NEW AIR BRAKE SYSTEM ON A 1933 ROLLS-ROYCE WOODY, THAT HAD BEEN CONVERTED TO ELECTRIC POWER. WE JUST INSTALLED OUR NEW AIR BRAKE SYSTEM ON A 1949 ANGLIA WITH A 550CI, HILBORN INJECTED BB CHEV. THERE WAS NO ROOM FOR AN H/B. THE FIRST CAR THAT HAD OUR AIR BRAKE SYSTEM WAS MOTHER'S POLISH'S 70 CHEVELLE, "PRO-PANE". IT HAS A 1200 HP 527CI PROPANE INJECTED ENGINE. IT WILL BE FEATURED ON "HOT ROD T.V." SOON. CAR CRAFT WILL BE PRINTING A SERIES OF ARTICLES ON OUR HYDROBOOST INSTALL FOR A BUICK "A" BODY, MARCH, APRIL, MAY. HANDICAPPED BRAKE SYSTEMS ARE TAILORED TO THE INDIVIDUAL PERSON. I PRESENT INFO HERE TO INSPIRE THE FORUM TO THINK OF THE IMPORTANCE OF BRAKES FROM A DIFFERENT POINT OF VIEW. I THANK YOU FOR LOOKING AT THE WEBSITE, AND WILL CONTINUE TO UPGRADE IT. YOUR INPUT IS WELCOME.

Hydroboost Conversion

Oops, sorry, I forgot about the all caps thing. My apologies. My vision is off with a cataract, and it's easier for me to rear caps. Bob

Thanks Bob, can the master cyl be re-used on the hydroboost setup from the powermaster setup?

I beleve to post prices you must be a listed Supporting Vendor. No idea what that involves though. Is the major difference between cars the bracket and hoses or is there more to it between kits? I have a Regal and a 64 Riviera that will eventually get most of the stuff from the Regal, could I buy the kit for the Regal then get the right bracket and hoses for the Riviera when the Regal goes back to vacuum brakes with an NA V8?

Thanks,

Bob, I've got a '92 Chevy S10 hybrid (GN powered), what's the difference between the GN & the S10 kit that I saw @ ur website ? I'm asking cause I was originally going to use the GN PM system & I had the holes in the firewall modified for it to fit. So if there's no difference between the 2 except for the bolt pattern I will buy the GN kit. Another ?, the stock p/s pump & the stock steering box are retained in all of the conversion kits (@ least in the GN & S10) ?? I'm ready to purchase, let me know, thanx.

Hydroboost Conversion

The name "POWER...MASTER" is a name that means power booster and master in one casting. That's one of the problems with it. the master portion can not be replaced separately. The hydroboost can be used with master cyl sizes fron 7/8" to 1 5/8" piston sizes, and, the master can be replaced anytime, easily. To set up Hydroboosts for different cars requires the right master, the right mounting plate, and the right pedal rod. The pedal rods are crimped in to the piston. As far as the Regal to big Buick changeover, we could crimp in a threaded rod, and you can change the rod end to fit either car. We could also supply both mounting plates when you are ready.

Wow...

The name "POWER...MASTER" is a name that means power booster and master in one casting. That's one of the problems with it. the master portion can not be replaced separately. The hydroboost can be used with master cyl sizes fron 7/8" to 1 5/8" piston sizes, and, the master can be replaced anytime, easily. To set up Hydroboosts for different cars requires the right master, the right mounting plate, and the right pedal rod. The pedal rods are crimped in to the piston. As far as the Regal to big Buick changeover, we could crimp in a threaded rod, and you can change the rod end to fit either car. We could also supply both mounting plates when you are ready.

Thanx 4 the fast response. Let me see if were're on the same page...I got a '92 Chevy S10 with a turbo v6 engine off a Grand National. I modified the holes in my firewall in order to use the pm. I saw a kit for S10 in ur website, but since I already had modifed my firewall for the pm, I was wondering if I could use the kit for GN on my S10 ?? If not, what would be the path to follow ? What piston size would u recommend ?

Do u accept paypal ?

Ok, re-read ur post & now got a better understanding :redface: . I'll need the 1 5/8 piston master cyl, threaded rod.. but not sure what plate ? My firewall is modded 4 the pm, so I'll need the plate that fits the pm. Let me know asap.

Hydroboost Conversion

I would recommend a 1 1/8" piston for most cars. Larger than that is for truck stuff. The small Baer calipers use a 1" master. I have the right mounting plate for the S10, in a 4 bolt style, or I have a 2 bolt plate similiar to a manual master pattern. The rod code off of your Delco vac booster would tell me the right rod length, or, we supply the H/b with a threaded rod, and you furnish the pedal end. That code is right at the pedal rod end. It is stamped "S22" or similiar number. We have converted the Typhoons and Syclones to H/B, and they work great. I was saying that masters from 7/8", 15/16", 1", 1 1/8", 1 1/4" 1 5/16", up to 1 5/8" will fit the H/B. It depends on the pedal ratio, and the caliper volume.

Do u accept paypal ??????????????????????

I would recommend a 1 1/8" piston for most cars. Larger than that is for truck stuff. The small Baer calipers use a 1" master. I have the right mounting plate for the S10, in a 4 bolt style, or I have a 2 bolt plate similiar to a manual master pattern. The rod code off of your Delco vac booster would tell me the right rod length, or, we supply the H/b with a threaded rod, and you furnish the pedal end. That code is right at the pedal rod end. It is stamped "S22" or similiar number. We have converted the Typhoons and Syclones to H/B, and they work great. I was saying that masters from 7/8", 15/16", 1", 1 1/8", 1 1/4" 1 5/16", up to 1 5/8" will fit the H/B. It depends on the pedal ratio, and the caliper volume.

Ok, I'll use ur recommended 1 1/8 piston master cyl, the 4 bolt plate for S10 & the threaded rod. I also want the ss braided lines & ur Polished Alum Reservoir with the second return, and a 5/8" (-10) suction Line. Give me a final quote shipped to 00956 asap. Thanx.

Everyone bashes vacuum brakes but if you have them, just simply install a secondary electric vacuum pump and be done with it. No reason to run off the motors vacuum. The deisel wagons came with these pumps. You will create all the brake pressure you want.

Bob, The masters that you supply are available in aluminum? I don't want the heavy cast iron master. I also run dual piston 38mm calipers, and find with the powermaster i have alot more pedal travel due to the increased swept volume im told, so what bore diameter would you suggest here?

thanks

norb