You can type here any text you want

Hydroboost

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

lost2a6

I was wondering if any one could tell me what cars, other than the 83-85 turbo Buick came with the hydroboost system that would be a direct bolt in my 87 GN?
Thanks

That hyrdraboost booster was G-body only and only the 83-85 turbos and 81-85 diesel cars used it. Now I never looked or played around with them but you might be able to use the HB from a full size car. The only difference would be the length of the push rod and the mounting bracket that holds it to the firewall. These could be swapped out of your old unit. At one time I could find the HB booster fairly easy at the salvage yards but now they are quite rare. Some of the more common cars that used them are any model of Cadillac from the early 80's.

I have a good working hydroboost unit if you need it- i only went to vacuum brakes because the car now has a 87 drivetrain and they use different type belts.-yours for $75. plus shipping.

mytquick87,
Let me make up my mind for sure that I want to go this route. I'm assuming that you have the hydroboost, hoses, and pump. If I do go with the hydroboost system, I'll sell my vac set up with petal, if you know someone who might be interested.

I've got an '84 T-type and I'm pretty sure the hydroboost pump is going out on it. I Also have a steering fluid leak that seems to be coming out of a nut actually on the engine block. Should I buy a new hydroboost system (does anyone else have one for sale?) How complicated/expensive is it (or is it even possible with my car) to switch over to another system?

louster38, I don't know very much about the hydroboost system, but I think that it "T"s into the power steering pump. If you wan't I'll sell you my vac. setup. It works great, I just can't build as much boost as I could with my old powermaster. My vac booster has been sandblasted, cleaned and painted. It is currently on the car. I'll sell the whole setup with petal for $75.00 plus shipping.;)
Thanks

Searching through the aftermarket I found Wagner(Federal-Mogul) has a reman'd HB listed. Wagner part#527211.

hydroboost was not a 84-5 gbody exclusive system
chevy astrovans (not sure of year but i know they all dont have it )and 80s caddy deisels

Originally posted by pacecarta
hydroboost was not a 84-5 gbody exclusive system
chevy astrovans (not sure of year but i know they all dont have it )and 80s caddy deisels

But the one for a G-body is only used on a G-body. Reread my post for alternatives.

I've also seen hydra boost on a Grand Prix with a v8. Some guy was on here in parts for sale selling new systems for about $600. Do a search. Don't know what you've done to hold boost with your vacuum system but plenty of guys claim to be able to hold high boost.

Originally posted by Red Regal T
I've also seen hydra boost on a Grand Prix with a v8. Some guy was on here in parts for sale selling new systems for about $600. Do a search. Don't know what you've done to hold boost with your vacuum system but plenty of guys claim to be able to hold high boost.

John, All I did was remove the PM and installed the vac setup, and bleed the pi$$ out of it.:D I tried to use the big master cylinder, it required less movement of the petal to stop the car, but I believe that the bigger MC requires a bigger Vac booster as a result of the petal being stiff. With the big MC, I could only hold about 1psi of boost. With the smaller MC I can hold about 4-5psi of boost. With my stock PM I can hold about 12psi of boost.;) Also IMHO, the big MC cars have bigger calipers that require an increased volume of fluid, that's why they have the bigger MC. In my case when I installed the big MC with the smaller G-body calibers, the MC plunger doesn't travel far enough to give the rear wheel cylinders much fluid. I discovered this by being able to lock up the front tires and not the rear. That would also explain not being able to hold any boost with the big MC. I installed the smaller MC and the petal isn't stiff, I can lock up the rear tires, and can also hold a little more boost. This is my result and I'm sure others would be different with different engine/drivetrain combinations. I do love the vac set up for every day driving.

Hey guys,

There are several aftermarket alternatives to hydraboost also. One company that sells they is Hydratech (you can find them over at the Pro-Touring website), another is Power Brake Service out of long Beach (they sell the Bosch unit). Both are good sources. The benifit of Hydraboost is that:

1) It is totally independent of engine vacuum
2) It runs much higher line pressure.

Lots2a6, keep in mind that everytime you increase bore size of the master you increase volume, but you decrease pressure. What this will typically do is it will give you a harder/firmer pedal (pull the pedal up) and make you use more force to increase pressure to get the car to stop. It is the opposite when you go smaller with the bore, you increase pressure and decrease volume. The stock metric calipers require the smaller bore, the larger master will not work (it is just to big).

HTH's

I was able to remove a HB from a 95 chevy astro Van 4X4. U will need to shorten the padle shaft 1 inch. i pic in yahoo photo. LOVE the C5 brake with the HB. currently installing C5 rear disc brake.

Back