You can type here any text you want

hydrolic to solid

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

buicktr7

Does any one know if and how to convert hydrolic lifters to solid lifters, and do they make a kit for them.

Just buy the solid lifters from Crane, adjustable roller rockers of your choice, then measure and order custom length pushrods from any of the many mfrs. out there. With the spring pressure required to run solids, be ready to buy lots of cam and lifter sets.
GB

alcohol carb and oil pressure

Unboostedv6; what kind of carb do you use to run methanol, also do you know if you can convert a Qjet to methanol. Do you have a large cam in your 4.1 like 615 lift or higher if so then how are you able to keep oil pressure. I have a 640 lift cam in my car but the lifters bleed off the pressure because the roller wheel goes up into the lifter gally and unplugs the lifter gally allowing for the oil to go over the roller wheel. The kind of lifters I am using are Isky lifter with custum manlly pushrods.

methenol

Do you mount your carb sideways like it says on the barry grant web sight or do you mount it the regular way.

It's .616" on the intake side with 1.60 rockers. The Crane roller lifter for the Buicks has a body which extends over the wheel only on the oil galley side, keeping oil where it belongs. My carb is a 650 Holley converted by Chuck Nuytten and mounted the normal way. Seems to me that the front jet in each bowl might get uncovered if it's mounted sideways. As for the QJet, I don't know if it's been done, but with only 1 needle and seat and that tiny little float bowl, it'd be tough to keep enough fuel flowing. Even with the Holley, I was running way lean (enough to hammer a piston) in high gear until I installed .150" stainless needles and seats. GB

Sorry for the slow response time....Crane #62518...you won't find them on their website, but they may still have a few sets in stock. My carb is a Chuck Nuytten converted 650 double pumper.
GB

does chuck have a web sight or a phone number to get into contact about an alky carb and thanks for the lifter number

Chuck can be reached at 972-722-8333 8:30- 5:00 Mon-Thurs or 8:30-12:00 Fri. Hey...is that V6 to TR7 swap kit still available? I haven't seen an ad for one since the mid '80's. GB

crane lifters

Does the lifters bleed of oil pressure at high rpm or does the pressure stay the same.

I 'm still seeing 85psi with hot 5w-30 at 7000 and around 20psi at 1200 rpm idle...stock pump gears GB

oil type

What type of oil is compatible with alkey or are they all compatible. What brand do use 5w 30?

problems

GB
This is what's going on, We put a 4.1 in the tr7 and the first run the motor ran good and then lost about 30lbs compression. The more we ran the motor the worse the compression got which constitutes as 12 runs. The type of oil we were running was full synthetic valvoline 20w50. We were told that the oil was the problem and flushed it out and put regular oil 20w50 and the compression started to come back up to 165lbs. We got the alkey carb built at a local race shop from a man named bob ream. The carb ran good untill the crank through on cylinder 5 piggy backed the rod bearring and slamed the piston into the head and exploded. All that was left of the piston was the wrist pin, it evan busted the bottom of the cylinder wall. Do you run milled heads and after market pistons. If you don't mind what kind of piston rings are you running we were running clevite cast iron. We are thinking of going to full crome rings. The carb is 750 single pumper with vacum secondaries, which is what bob recomended.

I've been running the cheapest API certified oil I could find. I think the last case was Exxon, bought at the local wholesale club for $10.99, or something. I think your rings needed a little time to seat and the compression will stay up until you wear it out, regardless of the oil you choose to run from now on. Lots of alky bracket guys swear by Royal Purple and it's marketed as being alcohol tolerant. I use a 180 thermostat to keep the nasty acids from forming in the first place...I've always used Childs & Albert ZGS rings, which are "ductile iron". My machinist hones the bores VERY smoothly and every time, the rings seated instantly. My heads are cut .040". The block is cut .050". Pistons are Wiseco custom flattops for a 4.005" bore. Comp. ratio is 12.2:1. Stock crank, stock rods bushed for the .927" floating pins.
What rockers are you using? I'm having consistent intake rocker breakage issues, usually during a money round. GB

gb;
The rockers we are using are kenne bell rockers. Where do you get flat top pistons at for the 4.1

abe

Had to order them directly from Wiseco, custom made. Stock oil pump, stock front cover of an '82 Cadillac with 80,000 miles....Are your KB rockers bushed, or are they needle bearing on the shaft?What valvesprings do you use and how high do you rev it?

Back