Hylomar for headgaskets

LSTTYPE

Getting ready to put on cometics. Have any of you coated them with Hylomar? Supposed to be really good stuff. Would like to read some results. Thanks in advance

Hylomar spray is the only sealer I will use on Cometics!

I remove the rivets that hold the layers together, clean the various layers with dish soap and hot water (washing them by hand), Dry and apply the sealer to every other surface. Every mating gasket/head/deck surface has Hylomar on it . I realize that the guys at Cometic would object to any sealer or my cleaning process, but I am not asking them !! It works for me. I have many high output engines (including my own) running where I have used this process.

Just remember, even the best sealed head will have a problem if detonation occurs. If the gasket stays sealed, detonation will break the next weakest part!

DR

Thank you for the reply! Do you by chance have know which Hylomar you use? They have many different types. I was going to get the spray and just coat both sides.

Not sure about part numbers etc. I'll look in the cabinet and see what the can sez. I buy the product from Competition Products. Darn stuff is EXXXpensive!! but worth the price in my opinion. Works for me.

DR

I've found that splaying the gasket open and coating the hell out of with copper coat will seal good enough to crack hyper pistons

....and reusing them with a fresh coat of copper will seal well enough to crack the replacement hyper pistons.

(I don't recommend cracking pistons though. It'll make you pull your hair out designing new forged slugs. lol)

...and Buick said we should run 12 pounds of boost.

and no transmission cooler.

Actually I don't blame Cometic for saying to install them as-is.

If they encouraged or even acknowledged splaying them open, they'd be opening themselves up to take the blame for monkeys screwing up their gaskets. Plus, it's untelling how many people can't seal them due to warped/rough decks and heads as it is. The last thing they need is to hand out an excuse for failure by mentioning modifications. At $100 a hit, I'm sure the Bubba techs would be wearing out some exchanges that aren't Cometics fault.

I'll stick to my spray jizz. I've seen it work first hand. (Cometic probably don't care for me reusing them from time to time either and saving $200)

Last edited:
I run cometic gaskets and I have never had a problem,
My process is drill the revert, clean all of the black stuff off that they come with and 2 coats of copper coat on both sides, let dry and reassemble.
I do re-torque after a short run time and have never had a leak or issue