You can type here any text you want

Hypereutectic Pistons TTA

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Razor

Forum tech Advisor
Staff member
Anyone make Hypereutectic pistons for our cars..I have a motor to build...010,.020..030 etc??

I know JE and Ross make them..but forged..

Hope my spelling wasnt too far off...

And yes TTA not GN pistons

Not trying to change the subject, but I thought Hypereutectic's were bad for turbo apps, especially at high boost (????)
There's a lot of conversation about that in the GNTTYPE archives, typically from Mustang converts.

Anyway, call Jack Cotton and see what he uses. He's doing mine now...

I would not use Hyper-u-breakem pistons in a turbo app. Buddy of mine put them in his 87 GLHS and they lasted 3K miles at only 13# of boost. He was still breaking everything in.

I would rethink that. JE, Ross, Venoila...you get what you pay for.

Keith Black sure ruined alot of peoples thoughts of hypo pistons.

sterlin brand with it a speedpro piston is very durable and will be fine in turbo app.

I wouldnt put a Keith Black hypo piston in a 3.5 hp lawn mower.

I have used both ...got plenty of broken KB's from n/a motors

I have run sterlings in my hotair motor that I abused with detonation bad and they look new still...I have also run then in several 10 second sb chevy motors

I have only ever broke one sterling hypo piston and that was after running around on the street in my last 400 sb with no air cleaner and had something go down the carb and in one cylinder and it beat the top of the piston up pretty bad but not wanting to pull the motor down just yet I left it alone and on my 3rd bottle of nos after that the piston gave up

it was messy at 7500 rpm with a 300 shot of nos hitting it and it was only the piston that had beat up that broke.

The reason not to go forged..is clearance..The forged pistons are noisy..sound like a diesel becuase of the added clearance needed..Longetivity is also another factor..I'm happy with stockers..too bad ya cant get them oversize..

Also..look at the TTA pistons..these are some strong sumbitches..

Our blocks,cranks,rods are only good for 600HP..700 tops..dont need something too fancy at these levels....plus if you consider detonation..if you have knock..fix it..not use stronger pistons..

For a street app..hyper's..

Any part numbers that dont increase compression?Or lower it :)

Thx...

If you want to run tighter wall clearances, why don't you run TRW forgings? They're made from 4032 (actually, a proprietary variant that's similar) and require less wall clearance than the 2618 alloy race pistons like JE and Ross. If I recall correctly, their recommended clearance is .0025-.0035". I have them in my street motor in the GN with .0045" clearance and they do not make any noise cold.

I recently had an "opportunity" to check the cylinder walls while replacing head gaskets :) and they look very good after about 10k street miles.

No, they don't offer a TTA specific piston..no, I don't know what the compression ratio effect would be unless somebody can tell us what the stock TTA head cc is.

KendallF,thanks..problem is theyre offered only in the GN configuration..which means higher compression using the TTA heads.

Looks like anyone doing a TTA rebuild is hosed on piston selection..unless they go with a racing piston..

Pearcy sells TTA specific pistons. Might try that route as they don't raise compression any.

Those are the Ross forged..
I believe were 875.00 :eek: :eek: :eek:

I didn't measure everything out, but from what I have read and assuming the TTA engines were originally @9:1 then the GN pistons will only raise it to 9.27:1. I have the TRW forged pistons (GN 2481's) in mine. I would check with a local machinist and see if they could remove the extra .045" (isn't a GN piston dished .145" vs a TTA's .190") in the dish without weakening the pistons and then you would have stock compression back for alot cheaper than Ross or JE pistons.

Got it thx..

I had the numbers run nationally and internationally..no go..none available..

TTT :)

what's wrong with a lil more compression?

if you ran gn pistons and the clearance was good with the TTA HEADS, then i dont see a problem with running that combo?

GM still sells .010 and .030 pistons for our car right?

just thought it wouldnt be a big issue running higher compression if you wanted to add a lil alky or propane to it or run pump gas???

what chu think?

GM no have no mo pistons for our cars..In the World..I did a search already..

Since its gonna be a race motor..A little more compression isnt going to hurt anything..

And it will sip C16 or C23..to make sure things are under control..

I found some .030 Forged Speed Pro's for 289.00 .. Still looking..no rush :)

Ninja Death time..70 turbo,roller cam,studded top and bottom,PP heads..

All I want is a 12.5 at 133
:D :D :D

sounds like what im shooting for too-
i was referring to GN pistons that are still avail from GM and that they should fit the TTA's

ya dont need a roller cam to hit 135 :)

I wonder if stock GN pistons will go 135 :)

I know the stock IC will go 132..proven..

Back