I found a rx7...shuld I build it???

MyWE4

Another WE4 owner
I found a rx7...should I build it???

I have been looking at a 83 GSL (1/83) that has been sitting near a friends house....

the body is real nice ...a 3 or 4 year paint job....it is SOLID!!!!

the under body is SPOTLESS!!

it is a carbed, 5 speed, manual steering, power brakes(4 wheel disk) and AC

it was parked when he started loosing power(seals??) and will sell it for $250

at first I was going to JUMP on the deal ..I have been thinking about doing a hybrid for some time.
I think this thing would be BAD!!

I have been looking at Mikes Miss Red web page... but....

I am floundering now...it will change my game plan...

Is this a good car to mess with???

any thoughts???
Thanks
Chris

Sorry i don't live close to you cause i would have plunked down my money already. For $250, get it.
Mitch

Buy it Rotaries are fun

My first car was a 1979 RX7,I have had 5 rx7s since,fist thing you want to do is take out the sparkplugs & put ATF in the motor also pour some down the carb,turn motor by hand or bump the starter with coil wires off,let it soak the longer the better,Any kind of tranny fluid will do(you can use Marvins Mystery oil if you want)this will clean out all the carbon&junk also it will free up any stuck seals in the motor,When you start it up it will smoke like crazy (This is normal)you then want to take the car out on freeway &give it a good run!then after your done change oil,put either a K&n oil filter or a genuine MAZDA filter,&change the plugs.I would use NGK BR8EQ14 they are the best.There are many performance mods you can do to a 1st Gen mazda,I would put a Header on it(Rotaries really wake up when you free up the exhaust)Then I would put a Racing Beat Holley Intake with a 450 Holley DoublePumper carb-Holley Race pump with regulator-A good race clutch &You will be flying!:D E-mail me if need help

hehe
I ran to the bank and took the $ out !! :D
but as I looked at the car(today) I thought about the rad. I have a nice aluminum rad for the WE4 ... and then the intercooler....I have a ford fm I made new tanks and pipes.... to put in the WE4 also .......and what about my THDP?? all pissed in the wind!!

PLUS......

MAN that thing is SMALL!!! :eek: little tires :eek: FOUR lugs :eek:
and what about the rear end and gear ratio??

but it would be cool :D

More input please ;) :D :p

Chris

Ummm, you can't replace a Buick WE4 with a Mazda. :(

Wake up dood! ;)

Buy it and sell it and buy some more WE4 mods. :)

It would be cool with a GN motor but the Rotary can make POWER! it has a 12A in it now but you could go to a 13B Turbo or even a 20B 3 rotor,The Gn swap would be cool though.Have you ever Heard a Moddified Rotary?They are very LOUD!

I have a 1st gen rx7 now im doing as a hybrid

gotta take it down next week and get a price for doing the cage to be certified to 7.50

I will be a 10" tire car nothing too big and be daily drivable and plan to send it down in the low 9's with the combo I have now

Originally posted by motorhead445
It would be cool with a GN motor but the Rotary can make POWER! it has a 12A in it now but you could go to a 13B Turbo or even a 20B 3 rotor,The Gn swap would be cool though.Have you ever Heard a Moddified Rotary?They are very LOUD!
I have a 79 Mazda RX-7 also with yhe 12A engine.Local Mazda guru Mandeville told me it would be easier to put a 427 side -oiler in it than a 13-B.

buy it as long as it is rust free. They weigh 2200lbs factory stock and can be lightened a ton if you want to.

Add a budget narrowed 8.8" Ford out back with 31 spline axles and a few other tricks and you will have a 10 second car with a near stock engine and streetable TE-44 or larger. Intercooler fab will be a PITA as will the downpipe. But for a 1000lb weight savings (100 free HP).... I say go for it. Add ported heads/cam and larger big shaft turbo and a low 9 second car shouldn't be a problem.

Building up rotary engines is not only expensive... but they don't last too long when pushed past stock. Hence the reason for my conversion.

-GNX7

Those things go for 3-4k here in S. Florida. Buy it, make it run good, clean out the oil veins and SELL IT.

what the hell I got it!! :D :p

Thanks for the input..it made me think hard.....
I will try to get it running and drive it for now....but in the future....

I don't think I will put a turbo charged Buick in it ... messing with the intercooler,cooling,wiring... not now anyway...

BUT I have enough parts to put together a 4.1 ..... slam hypers,cam,ported heads,headers,maybe some sort of inj????? that could easily make 200 hp, more than 2x the stock,that would be fun!! and still powered by BUICK... hehe

I would think about a newer rotary (having a hi winding rotary/5 speed stick does make me think hard) but if I swap I may as well use the parts I have.... and like!! :)

What do you think about that ?? dumb idea ?? :confused:

BTW motorhead445, I do know what those little motors can do .... some guys at Lebanon Valley were messing with them back in the late 80's and were something else!!!! :eek: and LOUD!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek:

Chris :)

There is a place that sells kits to mount a V6 or V8 in to a 1st gen mazda I think it is called Granny's Motor swaps,There is a kit to mount a 5.0 with T5 also,A 4.1 would be a nice swap too:D
I have "played with mazda rotaries since I was a Kid& They can Build Ridiculous amounts of power &Noise:eek: "The key to keeping a Carbed rotary alive is too Premix the oil&gas,A lot of those 12A motors have been run dry because it is a rotaries nature to "Use" oil,If your motor is good & has compression you could sell the it&everything else you take out & You could even make a profit considering you got the car for so cheap,I have personally seen some rotaries that would put some Buicks to shame:eek: In Puerto Rico they have some FAST Rotaries(Im Puerto Rican so I have Been Exposed to these since I was a little boy).
If you were to put a 3.8 Turbo in it like you planned NOBODY would touch that car it would be a "Sleeper",But you would need to Tie the Frame put a good rear end& A ROLL BAR.
What ever you decide Have Fun Those 1st gens are getting harder to find in good shape.