You can type here any text you want

i Got Suckered By A Fellow TR Guy in this site.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Well here is the story

I put a parts wanted add for an 86-87 TR fuel tank.
I got a response I gave the guy a call and everything sounded good.

Well on 7-29-07
I get a phone call

Dude - I will be in your neighborhood so if you want I can bring the tank over by you. A near by remote location.

ME - No problem at what time

Dude - About 2:00 PM at "X" Place

ME - that’s real close to me just call when you are almost there.

Dude - OK

ME - OK

At about 2:25 2:30 Pm I meet with this Dude.
I take a quick look at the tank "top Side" because it still had gas in it and I didn't want the gas to make a mess in my Van.
It looks ok at a quick glance.
So I gave the guy $125.00 cash for the tank.
I get home and continue working on my car then about 10:30 PM I start cleaning up and getting ready to close shop so I take the gas tank into the garage to put it away and for a close inspection.
And that’s when I realize what a mistake I had made in buying this tank.
Here are some pictures of the bottom of the tank.

Attachments

• IMG_8351.jpg
    IMG_8351.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 884
  • IMG_8352.jpg
    IMG_8352.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 862
  • IMG_8353.jpg
    IMG_8353.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 864
7-30-07 at 8:51 AM less then 24 hours after I got the tank
I give this Dude a call
Dude - We have a bad connection and he says I'll call back from another line

ME – OK

7-30-07 at 9:49 AM He calls me back

ME – I explain to him that I can’t use this tank because the metal is too thin,
It is not a safe to put this tank into any car.

Dude – does the tank leak,

ME – No

Dude - do you have a metal gauge?

ME – No

Dude - the new tanks are thinner then that, what do you expect it’s a 20 year old tank.
Aren’t you going to sell the car so what the big deal as long as it doesn’t leak who cares.

ME – I am not putting some thin unsafe on a car for sale of not.
You know cars and so do I, if I could show you the spots I am talking about you will understand my concern.

Dude – I did all this running around to get you this tank I make $50.00 and hour I can’t be doing this.

ME – I understand and I am not asking you to come pick it up I will take to where ever you want. I just can’t use this tank and want my money back.

Dude – I got bills to pay with that money I can’t give it back to I mean you can’t call me back a week or days later asking for money back.

ME – Dude its not even 24 hours since I got the tank. Dude just tell me when and where I can drop off the tank and get my money back.

Dude – NO I don’t need the tank and I won’t take it back

ME – so are you going to give me my money back?

Dude – NO

ME – I was so mad that I didn’t want to say anything personal so I just hung up the phone.
And here I am out $125.00 and a POS gas tank in the garage trying to figure out my next move.
This really sucks you see a guy with 5000 plus post on this site you tend to thing you are dealing with some one that wont screw you but for me it’s not the case. I hope this guy can see this for what it is and make it right that’s why I have not left any negative feed back or posted his Name.
And it I do feel stupid for being trusting and not taking my time and inspecting before buying it but a bad part is a bad part
Wish me luck guys.

Being objective, I can see both your points.

-He sold you a non leaking tank for $125.00 that is certainly in less than stellar condition.

-You looked at it and still bought it, so it's on you.

The shadiness is that he may have put the gas in there so you couldn't have really examined it thoroughly, or at least hope you wouldn't have, but that is purely speculative on my part. Because the little remnants of gas in my tank evaporated in a matter of hours when I pulled it off and let it sit outside.

It also wouldn't surpise me if you found some tank repair putty under that paint.

Either way you got the blues, bummer dude, I feel for you. Put it on, and let the potential buyer know it will possibly need a new tank and they can be had for $190.00 if you look hard enough. :(

Let us know his name so we dont deal with him!!! I wouldnt want to buy parts from a guy who deals with a fellow buick member like that.

Let us know his name so we dont deal with him!!! I wouldnt want to buy parts from a guy who deals with a fellow buick member like that.

All the info you need is in his post. :cool:

I would, but it's not my place to post the name, but my morbid curiousity led me to the parts wanted section. :D

I don't want to put the guy’s info just yet.
I want to give the guy a chance to make it right.

And BTW
It did look like the paint was fresh.
It didn't even have dust on it.

I should have turned it over weather it spilled and made a mess or not and looked at the bottom of the tank. But since I was in the family van I didn’t want fuel all over the place.
I definitely would have not bought if I had checked it the way I should have.

Once it's completely dry of fumes, (just fill it with water and drain it a few times), then grind away or sand away any rust on it.

Patch it with flat brass stock cut to fit over the sanded clean areas.

Don't use too thick of brass it must be bendable to mold into the curves of the tank so the solder will flow properly with no voids.

Torch and acid flux lead solder.

Be better than new when done.

Take about 3 hours tops.

Paint it and undercoat it black.

There's no way a lot of the tank is too thin to use. ;)

Looks like typical under the strap rusty spots.

no way would I put a torch on a gas tank .. its takes a while to air them out ..:eek: :frown:

Once it's completely dry of fumes, (just fill it with water and drain it a few times), then grind away or sand away any rust on it.

Patch it with flat brass stock cut to fit over the sanded clean areas.

Don't use too thick of brass it must be bendable to mold into the curves of the tank so the solder will flow properly with no voids.

Torch and acid flux lead solder.

Be better than new when done.

Take about 3 hours tops.

Paint it and undercoat it black.

There's no way a lot of the tank is too thin to use. ;)

Looks like typical under the strap rusty spots.

thanks for the idea
going to the supply house to see if they have the brass

could i use copper instead of brass.

Too bad you weren't in CA, I could get you a nice tank. I have never seen a tank that bad....Most everyone on this board are good people, like everywhere there are a few you have to watch out for. Please let us know how it works out. If the guy is decent he will replace it with a better tank. He has to remember nobody wants poor feedback around here. The TR world is too small and we all need help from time to time...if you get my drift....

I agree with Grumpy don't put a flame to it....get another tank or take it to a radiator shop and have it repaired.

Personally, I would have never sold a tank that looked like that! BUT, you did have the chance to look it over and you DID pay him so don't think he owes you anything.

You probably would have been better off just buying a new tank. That one you bought wasn't worth the gas you used to go pick it up. Wouldn't waste any more $$$ or time trying to make it work. Rust never sleeps.

Sorry, you didn't look at the tank while it was in HIS van. That way, the mess was his, and you still had your $$..
There's an a$$hole in every pair of shorts.... Sometimes 2.

July 17 post and NYC ...Sorry to here about that,clearly was trying to make a sh1tty fuel tank look good...:mad:

You looked at the tank. You bought it. It's yours.

I would look at the bright side. You're only out $125. I know a franklin and a quarter, but it could have been worse. For only 125 you know not to deal with this seller again. Your recourse can include for only 125 you and all of your friends will not get taken by this seller again.

Fool me once it's on you, fool me twice it's on me as they say.

I am sorry you feel like you got taken. caveat emptor

Cant believe Im hearing this $125 is $125. Well I personally would not deal with that person that sux cant believe a board member would screw another board member. Good luck to you man.

Cant believe Im hearing this $125 is $125. Well I personally would not deal with that person that sux cant believe a board member would screw another board member. Good luck to you man.

I'm with ya and I get that $125 isn't small potatoes to me either. I've been bilked plenty of times and have taken the bargain when I see it presented. What I was saying was obviously this seller is not your friend and gave you the short end of the stick. There is a place to convey your displeasure and it even allows the use of names is you so desire.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/feedback/

I am really sorry you got shafted but I would like you to turn it into a learning experience. Anytime money is changing hands people are libel to do some things you might not expect. That's all I'm trying to say.

That crappy paint job should had tipped you off something was not right. I don't know how that Eastwood tank sealer stuff works but that might be a way to seal it up without taking a torch to it (I wouldn't do it, with my luck I'ld blow my house up). You probably need to strip the paint off to really see how bad the rest of the tank is.

Back