You can type here any text you want

I just can't figure it out

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

DaveyX87

I've been trying to get my 86 GN to run right for months. The idle is rough and it pings around 9lbs of boost. I fixed every possible vacuum and exhaust leak, maf translator, you name it. The only thing I can think of is that the TT chip is burnt with too much timing for our crappy CA gas. The chip was burnt for my specifications but I just don't know. I'm so frustrated.

Maybe a injector is running lean.

It seems to be running a bit rich at idle. Maybe it leans out under boost. Hmmm. I might order new injectors and a chip. I just keep throwing money at it and I'm not getting anywhere.

Check the coil pack..boots,wires

I put in a new coil pack, plugs and wires recently. I need to make sure my grounds are solid. I will also go through the fuel system as Mr. Spool suggested. I should just order a fuel pump, hotwire kit, and adjustable fp regulator. I understand these things are essential.

And check the fuel lines at the filter for crush from previous filter removals gone wrong.

I will definitely keep that in mind. Does anyone have a part number for a quality replacement fuel filter?

I was looking at my gas tank and it looks really beat up and like it was patched and repaired at one time. I'm guessing the plastic baffles are no longer in the tank. Also, the undercarriage is pretty weathered because the original owner let the car sit for years before I got it. I really think I should replace the tank and fuel lines. Should I go for the gbodyparts replacement tank or one from rock auto? Also, should I make my own steel fuel lines or is there a kit for these cars? Thanks for the help.

When you say sit for years do you mean outside? It's quite possible the whole fuel system is cruddy and if not causing issues now will when you continue to mod. The valve springs might need to be changed too. Sitting for long periods of time could lead to a few weak ones.

When you say sit for years do you mean outside? It's quite possible the whole fuel system is cruddy and if not causing issues now will when you continue to mod. The valve springs might need to be changed too. Sitting for long periods of time could lead to a few weak ones.

Yes, it was under an awning on the side of the guy's yard for years. I got the car from the original owner's nephew when the guy passed away. The nephew was a car guy but knew little about turbo buicks. He was the one who got it running before I bought it. I'm sure he had the tank repaired because there is a big patch on it. Also, the gas gauge needle moves a bit on hills and under acceleration. I'd bet the tank baffles are gone. I only just realized this because I fixed the gauge in the dash by cleaning up the contacts. Now that it works again, I see the movement. This might explain the knock.

By a "patch" , do you mean the rectangular piece that is in the middle of the bottom that is rubbery? That is not a patch. It's a sound damper. Gm fuel senders are notorious for being inaccurate. Because of sitting so long the whole fuel system is still suspect. Something else, it's possible that it sat so long because the original owner had a problem with it and didn't fix it. You may be chasing a failure other than the typical issues of a vehicle that has been left outside and not run for years.

I hear you. It is possible. I have a new tank, fp, fp regulator, sending unit, hotwire kit, valve springs, and valve spring tool on their way. I would like to do the fuel lines while I am at it. Does anyone know where can I get all the proper fuel lines? Thanks.

Back