You can type here any text you want

I know, I know

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

trading t/a

I'm Angry!!!!!
This should be in the nitrous propane alky board, but. How many of us TTA guys use these products. I'm contemplating going to propane once I get my car back. I've never had a problem running as much as 20 pounds on 94 before, but would like a little insurance to come in at 17 psi J.I.K. MY #3 took a vacation I'm sure due to previous abuse(very little kr while she's been in my possession). The good news 9s forged pistons and other goodies are going in there to help out the weak legged bastard child of GM engines(no need to comment ). :)

I know Alky is the most promenent, but wouldn't propane at 112 octane and quite a few degrees cooler upon discharge help keep detonation at bay as well as decrease the air inlet charge. I have an unlimited supply of propane gas and would like to know who to hook up with on the TTA forum to go over the finer points of a propane system.

Thanx guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God be willing she'll be back soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D:D:D

Very well said, I might add...

Oreo Nabisco (making a 'cross' in the air) I will not have such a dilemma... But well put.

... as always, just reading and learning...

"weak legged bastard child of GM engines(no need to comment )"

Still laughing my a$$ off...

You rock.

Michael

The DOT approved propane tanks that come in those kits look big and ugly to me. Ive never used propane but it seams to work good and is much cheaper to run than alky. In other words $1.00 worth of propane last alot longer than $1.00 worth of alky. Plus alky kits have some issues with pumps dieing. You figure out a nice place to hide that propane tank and you'll have a nice set up. You can go along way on alky though and its alot cheaper up front.

Good luck:

Did someone say my name?

OK, I (to the best of my knowledge) am the only on with ProPain in a TTA.

I located the tank in the spare tire well (completely hidden) and the controller fits in the center console with the cover closed (perfect fit as far as width goes, holds itself up on both sides allowing storage under it). As for the quirks with the install that are TTA specific, flip the mounting bracket and it will bolt to the "rear frame" just fine. Also order it with a 20ft line instead of the standard 17ft as the best way to route it is across the rear and then follow the fuel lines up, but that requires more than they included (at least 2 feet, I tried).

As for mounting it in the spare tire well, not too many of us have a charged CO2 bottle for the spare anyways so why plan on having 2 flats instead of one:D :D but safety might be a concern if you get hit hard enough in the right rear (Minor consideration in my opinion as the fuel tank would probably get damaged at the same time with a hard enough hit to be dangerous)

I figured it out one time and I pay roughly $.01 per gallon of gasoline used to run the ProPain which costs $1.29 per gallon to fill. Thats roughly 10 tanks of gas before filling the propane tank with 1 gallon, not too bad for the equilivent of over 100 octane (and yes we only have 91 octane at the pump).

As for the cooling effects of propane, forget about that, it's benefit is better mixture with the air and having 108 octane to begin with. That means that any lean spots in the cylinder will have a higher octane than spots that have more 91 octane gasoline. That is the best I have been able to figure as for the reason it works as well as it does.

HTH

What kit are you using? Any reason to not use N.O.S. solenoids. Will the propane damage them. Do you have to mix them with gas to get the desired effect (like N.O.S.) or just shoot it into the uppipe? I thought the cooling effect plus the higher octane was the point? Thanx for the help!

I am using the OGS kit (designed by Jay Carter for TR's). As for the NOS solenoids, I would have to guess they don't flow nearly enough due to the lower pressures of propane (125-165psi vs 900psi??) but I don't think damage was a factor. The kit is pretty simple, it has a tank with regulator and solenoid connected by a 17ft line to the up pipe fitting that houses the jet. The controller tells it when to open the solenoid.

No you don't add any extra gasoline as the car could actually run on only propane (remember it is a fuel, just in a gaseous form) as an only fuel. With the quantity of propane added during a 1/4 mile pass I would guess it is probably cooling the intake air charge temp about 5-10 degrees. Not enough to really make a noticable gain in HP on its own. It is the added octane and the better mixture with air that really make the power.

Propain Vs Alchy....

I've been watching for a detailed "before and after" report about propane for a year now. If somebody posted a complete report, I missed it.

The stealth installation is interesting to me. I'm still stock appearing except for an engine anchor and an Lt-1 MAF ( I don't "see" the 50 pounders any more ;) ).

What gains in boost and Hp (on pump gas) can you document with propane? Was it difficult to tune?

:)

I can't document anything yet as I haven't been to the track with it yet. I only have it tuned right now for about 2 more psi than I normally run and there is alot more to go. (normal on 91octane is 15-16psi with 24deg timing, now at 18psi with high O2's in the .820 range). It is setup up for the street right now with drivability (part throttle) in mind and is working great. As for the stealth of it, the only thing anyone can see is some split wire loom running to my uppipe, everything else is totally hidden and never seen other than when the controlls are visible (by choice).

Using the small Co2 bottle you speak of(what size by the way) will there be any hassles with someone filling it in this particular bottle. Ideally I would like to rip out the spare,jack and Co2 canister and fab a bracket using that to mount the bottle in the well.

What is the roundabout cost of the system(if you can quote it)? With 94 octane I've had 820's on 22 psi with absolutely no knock. I may look into this setup more seriously when mine is done with the rebuild

I think you misunderstood, the CO2 bottle is for inflating the spare, and mine is sitting on a shelf in hte garage empty. The propane bottle is a 1 gallon tank that looks like a miniature BBQ grill tank (5 gallon). As for the mounting and filling, it takes me less time to remove the tank than it takes the attendant to fill my BBQ tank, it is only 2 heavy duty "hose clamps" and the fitting up on the valve that need to be removed. As for the price it is around $600 for the whole kit from OGS Distributing, and cost me another $10 in hardware and split wire loom (over the braided stainless line under the hood) for installation. A little more expensive than Alky but it will pay for itself in the long run with cheaper less frequent fillups.

Back