I Love Owning a Grand National!!

Like stated above get an alarm....... Ive had my 80 Monte stolen like 3 times :mad: and recovered all 3 times...

You like the comments now. Give it time. It gets old.

+1 That's whay after purchasing an '86 GN new and keeping it for 12 yrs, I decided to sell it and buy a sleeper TR 8 yrs ago which I still have. I like to fly beneath the radar screen now!! ;)

Yeah, for some reason these cars are lost on chicks. They like slow ass mustangs and imports better. GN's don't really get you the panties.

I've had some girls like the car, one girl stopped me at a gas station, she knew it was a grand national, and started asking how fast it was, and what made it so special - then she said she started liking them after she saw Dave Narvaros haha

Flashy cars help ugly guys get panties because the girls think they've got money; and the girls like the attention that comes with a flashy car.

I don't think the GN gets girls at all, you have to get the girls yourself, then use the GN as a catalyst ;)

They kind of crap happend at our local weekly show, Finally enough people complained and they started a Special interest lineup.

they have a list of cars they allow, tuner cars are not welcome, just American and Canadian Muscle.

I've seen that a couple of times too...where they pull some arbitrary number out of the '70s as a cap...which is probably the year of some car one of the good 'ol boys has. The last event I went to like that the limit was '73. And I see a new Dodge Magnum in the mix of cars, when I ask what's up with that they say it's the treasurer's car. Whatever...

Any cool car I've ever owned has gotten people's attention....my 71 Nova...my 71 Chevelle...my 69 Nova....all of them I couldn't take anywhere w/o drawing attention. Even my V8 S-10 drew a few heads. But I'm not complaining. It's to be expected.

But now the Buick...well, to most it's "just another car", to some it's a "piece of **** grandpa's car"....but to a small handful, they actually know what it is. ;)

I dont know where in Minnesota you are located but if its in Minneapolis keep that thing in a garage! Get an alarm, kill switches, and never park it at a movie theatre or mall or anywhere for that matter. Dont drive it down Franklin Ave or Lake Strret unless you like random drug dealers offering you a terrific deal of a few hundred bucks for your Monte. On the wrong day, you will just get a gun shoved in your face and pulled out of the car. I speak from experience :(

The positive attention is still cool though. I was invited to a car cruise in Portland last weekend. It was supposed to be a Corvette club but I also heard some Subarus would be there. That was about all I saw save for a few riced out imports and then there was me. I was the only car in the lot that had a group around it asking for the hood to be popped. It can be akward but cool at the same time.

In Minnesota there was a lot of GN guys, out in Oregon its a lot less than I am used to. I actually had someone come up to me and say they had never seen one in person before yet they were a car guy. They said they had seen them on tv and in print but never in real life.

We need more GN's out here.

The kid I bought it from lived in Minneapolis near the airport; Just off of 34th ave and 49th street (or 34th st and 49th ave?). Not the best area by any means. It was garaged mostly, but was parked out on the street when I bought it because he had lost his garage space.

The radio has been stolen and the trunk lock popped :frown: To keep the car from being stolen, He told me that he pulled out the ECM when he wasn't driving it :eek:

I'm now in relatively safer south central MN- New Ulm & Mankato area. But I am still going to get an alarm for it soon...

Thanks for the advice and stories folks!
John

I used to get my haircut at Mug n Brush on 34th ave. They used to tell me to check for that GN you bought every time I went to get my hair cut. I saw it once while I was in my old Mazda so I didnt stop but I wanted to go grab my GN and go back but that was the only time I saw it.

Dang small world Whut!!!

The car has some rust issues (t-tops), but is far from gone. It originally came from New England in the mid 1990's via car auction, then went up to Cloquet for about 9 years before the kid I bought it from got it in 2005.

John

Yeah I noticed it had some issues when I saw it. I wanted to get my GN and come back to offer to buy it from him so he couldnt pull that "its a classic, its worth $100,000, blah blah blah" stuff on me. I seriously went to my place in West Bloomington and grabbed my car and shot back down there but he was gone. He noticed I was looking at him so maybe I spooked him a little. :D

I grew up on 40th and Park in south Minneapolis. I had a shotgun tapped on my window on 60th and Portland but out ran the would be car jackers before they could get my car. My first TR was stolen twice from my parents house on Park and a buddy of mine that bought one with an inheritance was car jacked at gun point three blocks away on 38th and Oakland. Thats why I was warning you to keep that thing under lock and key because there are a lot of GN and T's around the cities there and the thieves know what they are.

Click the MGNTA image in my signature, its a link to our club in Minnesota. The president is Tom Shea and he lives in Lakeville and has a small shop (with a lift and everything) in his garage. The club dues at $30.00 a year which goes to sponsoring different things throughout the summer. We have a "Fudd Feed" in November that is paid for by the club, just show up, get some money, eat some food, drink some beer, and hang out with a bunch of TR nuts. If you join you also get a free inspection and tweak session classified as "an hour" at Toms place. Tom is very knowledgable about these cars, he has been messing with them for years and will fill you so full of knowledge your will leave with your head spinning. An hour at his shop is more like three to four hours, your car will be looked at top to bottom and he will tell you what it will need and what you can do to get the most "smiles per dollar" :p Thats sort of his trademark slogan when it comes to these cars.

The club meets at Walser Buick off 494 and France Ave in Bloomington on the last Thursday of the month through the winter except December. In November its just Fudd Ruckers on 494 and France on the last Tuesday of the month since Thanksgiving is usually the last weekend. Through the summer they meet the last Thursday of the month at a different outdoor location from May to September. They also get very organized for stuff like Car Craft and other major shows that come to town.

When I talk about the club it makes me miss Minnesota. Then I remember, I am racing this Saturday at a track not 20 miles from my place and it all goes away. :D There really isnt a huge TR group out this way, it seems when I have mine out I get people coming out of the woodwork talking about the one in the garage but really, I have personally seen 6 TR's since I moved here. I was the only one in any car show I attended and was the only one at the track for a while, now there are two others that show up. Its nothing like Minnesota, tons of TR's and no tracks close enough to have fun legally. :mad:

This is a shot of Toms garage from last year.

Garage.jpg

I came back for a week last August and was there for the club meeting. The storms had been hitting the city regularly while I was there so many people didnt bother bringing their cars out. This is what less than half of our club looks like at the Minnetonka Drive-In.

Mpls146.jpg

I would highly suggest becoming a part of this club. Its not for profit, and is filled with a bunch of great people that have a ton of knowledge to share and resources to lend. If I could, I would move them all out here. :D

The number 1 rule when owning these cars is to get alarms and kill switches installed. DO NOT PARK IT AT A MALL.

I left mine parked in the parking deck at the mall with the t-tops off (with only the factory alarm)..I come out and someone put a note on my wipers saying "nice grand national!" :eek:

Great link Whut- Thank you! I'm definately joining. Lots of great information and tech on the website.

I just put a new O2 sensor in and it is running great now- before it was hard to start, idled rough, strong gas smell, and would almost kill at stop lights.

Plus, I got a call from my bodyman saying that he is almost ready for my car- It'll have all bodywork and paint done by Christmas!

Thanks again,
John