You can type here any text you want

I Need A Block Id

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
What engine block has a 20 bolt oil pan and the last 3 didgits on it say 140 and its stamped 3.8 in a 2 door 86 grand prix?

What engine block has a 20 bolt oil pan and the last 3 didgits on it say 140 and its stamped 3.8 in a 2 door 86 grand prix?

Buick 3.8 V-6 produced in mid 84 and used through mid 85.

It is the transition block between the the 84 290 block and the 86 109, it has the 20 bolt pan but still has rough intake valley casting. I would still use it in a stock or mild build up to 450 or so.

Thanks
Bill

I thank you two for the info. I had got 1 for free, i
There is no advantage or disadvantage to it vs any other block from 82 up. If girded and a good rotating assembly i wouldnt have any hesitation running 700+hp through it.

I saw one of those the other day in a car. I wondered what the heck it was too. Now I know:cool:

block

There is no advantage or disadvantage to it vs any other block from 82 up. If girded and a good rotating assembly i wouldnt have any hesitation running 700+hp through it.

good iam keeping it as 109 blocks are getting hard to find.

good iam keeping it as 109 blocks are getting hard to find.

109 arent hard to find here. Junkyards have a lot of them. All 86-87 RWD cars with the 3.8 had them. The 140 is much less common.

Some hot air crate engines were 140 blocks...

Had 2 of 'em from GM like that. Both were made in March 1985. sold one.

Thumper made some good points about this block in his post (#4)...20 bolt pan but rough cast valley....

this block also has the reinforcing "ribs" cast into the front of the upper valley. since it was a hot air, there is no boss or casting for the oil return hole to the lifter valley.

I'll look for the pic of the lifter valley ribs.

Attachments

• LM9pic2.jpg
    LM9pic2.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 90
here is the pic of the upper valley reinforcing ribs. the standard 290 block for the hot air engine did not have these ribs cast into the upper valley.

Attachments

• UpperValley_resized.jpg
    UpperValley_resized.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 85
here is the pic of the upper valley reinforcing ribs. the standard 290 block for the hot air engine did not have these ribs cast into the upper valley.

The date of manufacture was all that mattered. If it was 84-early 85 it had the 290.

Back