I need a little help identifying my hot air parts for my next project!

KrisW

Hey guys,

I don't post here a lot, mostly I'm just doing tons of research because this site is treasure trove of info for me. I'm a super low budget guy, so I'm trying to figure out exactly what I have and how far it can be pushed.

First off, the engine I have supposedly came from a 1980 Monte Carlo Turbo car. I think that might be right because the little stamped number on the stamp pad at the LH rear of the bellhousing has the following numbers, 1 AK 476834. I don't have access to the donor car to verify the sequential number, but I think the number 1 indicates Chevrolet, and the A indicates 1980, so I feel close.

The block casting is 25506397, A 15 GM 5 and there is a big 3.8-5 on the underside of the block on the LH side. I found the casting number on the internet, but I can't find if it means turbo block or did other blocks have that number, too? The lifter valley seems to be solid in the middle, with the awful looking cracked out casting holes for oil drain back only at the front and rear of the valley and not in the middle like my Buick V8 engines. I can't really see anything too special about this block but I will certainly look for any tell tale signs that you guys could point me to.

The crank has 229 cast on it that I can see. I can't see any other numbers until I fully disassemble the long block.

The heads have B 25505900 and a big 7 on them with a capital "I" on each corner above where the exhaust bolts on. It also says H 10 in the under the valve covers area.

The intake has 25504240 on it and that decoded to 1980 Hot Air intake.

I'm just trying to make sure that I am starting with turbo parts and not n/a parts that someone swapped in over the years.

Can anyone help me with the ID of these numbers?

My plan is to just use the long block with a multiport fuel injection intake and a mild turbo in my Firebird project. Will these parts take the heat of a mild build? I have an old Buick Power Source manual that I am using to guide me through the oiling mods and block prep, along with some other books. I would still like to hear from some real world experience in case I am going completely in the wrong direction.

Thanks!

Hey guys,

I don't post here a lot, mostly I'm just doing tons of research because this site is treasure trove of info for me. I'm a super low budget guy, so I'm trying to figure out exactly what I have and how far it can be pushed.

First off, the engine I have supposedly came from a 1980 Monte Carlo Turbo car. I think that might be right because the little stamped number on the stamp pad at the LH rear of the bellhousing has the following numbers, 1 AK 476834. I don't have access to the donor car to verify the sequential number, but I think the number 1 indicates Chevrolet, and the A indicates 1980, so I feel close.

The block casting is 25506397, A 15 GM 5 and there is a big 3.8-5 on the underside of the block on the LH side. I found the casting number on the internet, but I can't find if it means turbo block or did other blocks have that number, too? The lifter valley seems to be solid in the middle, with the awful looking cracked out casting holes for oil drain back only at the front and rear of the valley and not in the middle like my Buick V8 engines. I can't really see anything too special about this block but I will certainly look for any tell tale signs that you guys could point me to.

The crank has 229 cast on it that I can see. I can't see any other numbers until I fully disassemble the long block.

The heads have B 25505900 and a big 7 on them with a capital "I" on each corner above where the exhaust bolts on. It also says H 10 in the under the valve covers area.

The intake has 25504240 on it and that decoded to 1980 Hot Air intake.

I'm just trying to make sure that I am starting with turbo parts and not n/a parts that someone swapped in over the years.

Can anyone help me with the ID of these numbers?

My plan is to just use the long block with a multiport fuel injection intake and a mild turbo in my Firebird project. Will these parts take the heat of a mild build? I have an old Buick Power Source manual that I am using to guide me through the oiling mods and block prep, along with some other books. I would still like to hear from some real world experience in case I am going completely in the wrong direction.

Thanks!

Charlie- Move this post to B4Black Forum. Give this guy some help. Brad

Well, SORT OF SFI, I am using a multiport intake from a FWD car that fits the heads well. I have a set of OEM 87 GN turbo headers, and the modifications and adapters that I need I can do myself.

My main worry is the block and heads. If the crank is a turbo piece, then I'm happy enough to run it for now. I've got lots of polishing and casting flash to remove off of the block, crank, and rods, and that's fine. I just don't want to put a lot of work into a block that will come apart, you know?

Is my block gonna be okay for what I'm planning? I know a 309 block is better but this is all I have for now.

That's a turbo crank. Don't know about the rest.

Are you sure? I just pulled a rod cap and I don't see the same thing as my Buick Power Source manual shows when it references a "rolled fillet" crank. Mine just looks sorta smooth...

Is there a different number I should look for on the crank or is it a legit turbo crank just with 229 on in?