I need a new GOOD chainsaw..which is the best..

Congrats, Mike. cheers to many years of service with that Stihl saw.

I got mine, second hand, about 1991 from a grad student couple relocating out of the country for work. had only cut about cord of wood back in WA state - so it was just broken in, lol. compressed air cleanups after each use, basic tune ups here and there and always have another sharp chain ready to go as a spare will give you a lifetime of service. having good, reliable tools makes hard work easy. Enjoy.

View attachment 343573

Stihl saws are the best hands down.

Cut trees for years and those things were bulletproof
What sucks is if you Google reviews it really doesn't appear that way. Looks like they push whoever pays the most to the top of the list.

manufacturers are making commercial grade equipment and residential grade equipment. many complaints come from dopes than do not maintain their equipment. then they go ballistic when the saw they never cleaned off or tuned up or did any PM work to AND has sat untouched for years now won't start.

same for portable generators. dopey neighbors wonder why their generator won't start when the last time used was SuperStorm Sandy in 2012. Drain the gas tank? Nope. Run it dry? Nope. Fuel Stabilizer? Nope. Perform operational check before tropical storm arrived? NOPE. Now that there is a sustained power outage, they as me to help fix their generator and can they run an extension cord off mine? Of course it's expected that I'll drop what I'm doing immediately to work on their equipement because I know how to do these things AND of course it's expected I'll do it all for FREE.

these same dopes run a saw with empty bar oil reservoir, at full throttle with a dull chain to a point where the wood begins to smoke. No concept that a dull chain can cause serious injury let alone a poorly maintained saw is a danger in itself. No clue how to cut wood. bar and chain make contact with ground/dirt on every cut. And no personal protective equipment. ever see an idiot standing in the street wearing just shorts and flip-flops wielding a saw with a 20" bar going to be the neighborhood hero to clear the fallen tree blocking the road?

people today do nothing and know nothing but expect the world to be provided to them. these are the dopes who are writing all those negative reviews.

Last edited:
My opinion is that there are plenty of fake reviews out there for the purpose of pushing subpar merchandise

your probably right on that Mike T , but there are many great forums on numerous things with real knowledge like this site .

If a Stihl and Husqvarna were sitting there Id grab the Husky and giggle at the guy that had to grab the Stihl.

another tip for ya if they recommend 50:1 gas mix run 32:1 in first tank kinda like breaking her in

Used an old homolite for years that was American made and beat the snot out of it for years, aka, used a lot. It finally bit the dust and in 1994 or 95 bought a Stihl 026 Pro. Have a ton of hours on it and still haven't wore out the 2 16" chains. Always use the non-ethanol gas and the Stihl mixing oil too. Just can't see using the $.99 special walturd 2 cycle stuff made by Uncle Clarence. Once started it will idle all day. When done always empty the tank and run dry and take covers off and blow out with compressed air. Plus you can change the bar size and get some different attachments for it. Pro also comes with a decompression button which makes starting so much easier.
If you buy a Sthil now a days you have to research the model since last I knew they were making some in china or the engines in china for the cheaper models.
Sthil also has some fancy chains that cost lots of samolians made from tooled steel or whatever that last almost forever.

another tip for ya if they recommend 50:1 gas mix run 32:1 in first tank kinda like breaking her in

Good point. The shop that I purchased it from insisted on doing a pre delivery prep himself. He took it to the service area , filled it up, ran it for a while and made a few adjustments. Most likely did what you suggested with the mix.

sounds like you have a good guy , these are some of the things I I know about like you guys know these cars and engines, wish I knew as much as you on these cars but I am learning , I tried to find the pics of a huge oak we had to cut down with 36" bar three cuts all around and thats a 100$ chain and serious work but lost the pics I'm a jack of all trades and a master of none LOL

If you buy a Sthil now a days you have to research the model since last I knew they were making some in china or the engines in china for the cheaper models.

Well it says manufactured in the USA with foreign and domestic components...….

Maybe it was assembled here and the spark plug is the (made in USA) component;)

haha you guys crack me up ,what are you really doing cutting up one two trees LOL , I hate the decompression button when cutting all day, like I said , no need for all that ive been cutting tress for 25 years more than you will ever know dropping 20 in a day , I buy throw away saws so to speak and they keep going if taken care of properly , thats what I do for a living so I get to talk shit on this topic LOL , I do. have a homelite at my house and had for 15 years nothing wrong with it , had to cut up trees across the road to get into work LOL anyways back to original post best saws stihl, husky's and echo or shindiawai which is basically the Lexus of echo

what are you really doing cutting up one two trees LOL

That was exactly the question I asked myself the day the Husqvarna quit. In reality I may have cut up the equivalent of 2 medium size oak trees with it. Nothing over about 24 inches in diameter.

your good with that beast of a saw you got take care of her and she'll take care of you watch some arborist videos on how to maintain saw just like this forum your a smattered cookie but LIKE ANYHTING PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT

PLEAESE DONT LET ANOTHER HURRICANE hit my course I had two in a row Matthew and then Irma and it is truly hell and you can all come get you some chainsaw pracctice LOL thank god om not still in the Carolinas where there are even more big boys !!

Back in the 80's I bought a saw made by McCulloch called the Eager Beaver for under a $100. It was a very small saw with maybe a 14 inch bar. Would guess I got 10x the use out of it compared to the Husqvarna.

probably made in the USA !!! OR CANADA like the good weather stripping and most parts :love:

haha you guys crack me up ,what are you really doing cutting up one two trees LOL , I hate the decompression button when cutting all day, like I said , no need for all that ive been cutting tress for 25 years more than you will ever know dropping 20 in a day , I buy throw away saws so to speak and they keep going if taken care of properly , thats what I do for a living so I get to talk shit on this topic LOL , I do. have a homelite at my house and had for 15 years nothing wrong with it , had to cut up trees across the road to get into work LOL anyways back to original post best saws stihl, husky's and echo or shindiawai which is basically the Lexus of echo
This is not for girly man!

:

Some power equipment that "died". Only needs something simple such as a carb cleaned out from stale rancid fuel, or a broken fuel line replaced. The fuel lines have rotted away on me before. Clean the carb twice or so, then I get smart and check the line for cracks or a break. Its hard to see on a saw lol.
I don't condemn stuff too easily.