You can type here any text you want

I need to make my car slower.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

blacksunshine2

Hi fellas,

This weekend is funford at Norwalk. I am going to race in the Modular class. The problem is, the car runs 9.6s and I don't have a 9 sec license. I have got to race at this event, it is THE event of the year for me.

Anyway, what is the best way to slow it down? I was thinking of trying the following:

1st: pull timing
2nd: lower the rev limiter and shift points
3rd: sandbag
4th: bolt on street tires (dangerous)

Here is the low down on my combo:

'98 Cobra, FAST, Vortech T-trim 26 psi, built motor, C4, 6200 rpm stall, 7600 rpm shift points.

This may belong in the drag racing section, but I wanted to get some feedback from some of you FAST gurus about changing the tune to achieve the slower times. Thanks.

OK, now for real, @ 26 lbs of boost can't you just lower the boost? short shift? :confused:

From a tuning perspective, really you have timing and mixture to play with.

Advancing the timing = detonation, bad idea.

Retarding the timing = will work to a point, but your EGTs might go up and you could be firing flame into the header tubes. Plus you may not lose enough HP.

Leaning out the mixture = err, bad idea.

Running too rich = my favorite option, again within certain limitations. Won't really hurt anything, however again this might not slow you down enough either.

Maybe retarding the timing, combined with extra rich, combined with short shifting or backing off the boost.

Just my $0.02.

Thanks for the info fellas. Going slower in this case is almost as bad as trying to go faster. I am not efficient at FAST tuning, yet. I wanted to change as little as possible. Maybe I'll look for a 400lb mustang fan to ride shotgun this weekend.

I don't really want to lower the boost. I think that I will short shift and if necessary pull timing and richen up the mixture.

I wish to hell that I had my license, this thing is as consistent as it gets. Last time at the track it ran 9.64-9.68 in 6 runs.

Do you guys think bouncing off the MSD rev limiter for the last 300' would cause any problems?

Thanks

Slowin down??

Call some of your Pford buds that race at Englishtown or at the Oklahoma race... They can educate you on the art of sandbagging!!!!:D :D

Actually, Bob has a good irea.. Add fuel above the idle areas on your map. I would do that on the A/F map, not the VE.
I'd also pull a bit of timing out in the same areas
make your changes and save as "sandbagger1.GCT"!! Then you can easily go back and load the "real" program after you are first round runner up!!:eek: :eek:

Just kiddin! Have fun!;)

Put a block of wood under the accelerator pedal ;) Take several thicknesses of blocks of wood with you to vary your times :D

We all should have that same problem, Eh?

Back