You can type here any text you want

i prey this isn't anyone from THIS BOARD!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
There we go!

Wes 87 Turbo T said:
the catch car was as fast as the gn. I think it was a stocker with the stock wheels.

That dsm needs a piece of a tta on a roll. We have a couple here for him to bring it on. Far as a gn at 160 whats the big deal. Guys do that in 1/4 mile passes in gn's. Nothing new ;)

Roll racing wrong wheel drive cars that are gutted & modded is dumb. Especially in a stock car.
Thank You for speaking up, cuz I cant stand that nonsense, after u get done whippin him, send that lil junk up here for a second beatdown from my stock ;) Regal. U dont believe me... run the VIN its 307 oldsmotor in it....Nevermind that whistling sound :D ,

OK ill race Brent Rau...

ITSNOTAGN said:
actually, not to bust anyones bubble, but there are stock block and head setups in the 7's and even, dare i say it, 6's. Brent Rau, in his pro RWD eclipse has been 6.85@208 or so, and he uses a stock block and head. John Shepherd is in the high 7's at 180 in his stock appearing AWD as well. he even drives his on the street. anyway Brent Rau, (i talked to him in Brainerd Raceway Labor Day weekend), makes around 1600hp out of his car, and uses a clutchless 5-speed. His ACT 3-disk clutches are good for 3 runs only, and when he comes off the 2-step on the launch, and i saw his logs from the car, he was leaving at 68.5psi of boost. Im Buicks first myself, but how many stage blocks have made just over 1600hp and can run almost 70psi?
Gary
Best out of seven heads up with 3 minutes of cool down between runs.! :D By the way Im thinking of putting a Jet motor in the trunk of my Saturn, I should be able to make a sub 5 second pass, but Im sure it will be good for only that pass. Kind of the same thing dont u think. Theres always somebody a lil faster than the supposed fastest guy, not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

ITSNOTAGN said:
actually, not to bust anyones bubble, but there are stock block and head setups in the 7's and even, dare i say it, 6's. Brent Rau, in his pro RWD eclipse has been 6.85@208 or so, and he uses a stock block and head. John Shepherd is in the high 7's at 180 in his stock appearing AWD as well. he even drives his on the street. anyway Brent Rau, (i talked to him in Brainerd Raceway Labor Day weekend), makes around 1600hp out of his car, and uses a clutchless 5-speed. His ACT 3-disk clutches are good for 3 runs only, and when he comes off the 2-step on the launch, and i saw his logs from the car, he was leaving at 68.5psi of boost. Im Buicks first myself, but how many stage blocks have made just over 1600hp and can run almost 70psi?
Gary

Ummm are you sure Brent Rau's car has been 6.85 @208mph?? Last I heard it had went 6.98 @200mph, but not that fast... I just think I would've heard about it if it went any faster.. Also, you forgot to mention that he is able to run 70 psi of boost because he is running on Methanol unlike most of the Stage2 powered cars that run on Gasoline... There have been Stage motors making up and over 1600hp and I think with the Gallina/Freeman car (which was Duttweiler's old red GN) which will have a Duttweiler built twin turbo TA Alum motor soon, as well as John Schmidt's new DLS built twin turbo Stage powered Riv, we could potential see some 6 sec passes in the near future at over 200 MPH.. :cool:

im just sayin, that motor is very very strong, in the grand scheme, its still a 4 banger and doesnt have the potential power of more displacement. BUT, it still is a stock block and head, using the stage blocks as an example, there is still only a handful of them comparable, and how much do you think it cost to get them that fast?? probably a bit more than the 4 cyl, on account of not buying a $3500 block and $2500 set of ported alum heads. dont think in my time i will ever see a sotck 109 with stock casting iron heads doing a 6 sec run, in a rail car maybe, but that is not applicable. so credit is due on that one. DSMs are just as potent mod for mod as a gn, effectively because of the lighter weight and shorter wheelbase and dimensions. also i know he has bettered his 6.98 run, he said somthing along the lines of 6.8x as i recall and definately in the 205 range, this is just from memory, and mine isnt the best. I did see him run a 7.02@198 and he said he had some to go, so take that as it may be.
Gary

No doubt it is very impressive and I will give credit where credit is due as that is one mighty 4banger!!! Now as far as comparing the cost I think you are forgetting that it might be a factory block but preparing it to make that kind of power is neither a cheap or easy task.. Definitely know for a fact the block is filled with Hard Blok (unlike any of the Stage2 guys and really I don't know of any of the fast 109 guys filling their blocks) and I'd venture to say it is also Cryogenically treated along with the head which also adds some extra dollars.... I'm sure Brent and the other fast DSM guys like Shep have other tricks up their sleeves that cost more $$$, but of course they won't tell the general public cause they are the ones that have spent the time, money, and effort in the R&D to run at this level.. So in all honesty I'm not gonna buy that it is any cheaper with the 4 cyl at that level and between breakage of parts it's probably more expensive racing at all these events, but I would think they have some sponsorship money racing at the NOPI events as well as the NHRA sport compact series.. With Titan Motorsports (who has the fastest Sport Compact/Pro RWD car) and Matt Scranton down here I've been able to see my fair share of what is involved with running the fast imports at this level and even though they do use some factory parts (mainly the blocks and heads) do NOT believe for a second that it is cheaper than running a domestic!

The main advantage I see with the DSM motor from the factory even though it lacks in displacement is the 4V head and the fact that is is an OHC motor..

Back