I Quit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2)Ground wires to back of passenger head

This was definitely not one of Buick's better ideas.
The bolt is almost impossible to reach.
Glad I got skinny arms :biggrin:

GNTTYPE.org

Go to the original Technical online resource. http://www.gnttype.org and go to the technical section. As I recall Ken Mosher uploaded the "How to diagnose a No-Start condition" from the shop manual.

Clue #1 - you just replaced the crank sensor. :wink:

Check the balancer to make sure that its tight and hasnt rubbed on the crank sensor. Check the wires between the coil pack and cam and crank sensor for open circuits or corroded connections. Verify that the fuses are good with an ohm meter. Ive seen bad ones overlooked.

Check This

Had a similar problem. Check the module in the ECM (computer). Sometimes the chip is not seated, and will cause the car to shut completely down. The easiest way to check is to start the car, if you can. Rap the computer with your hand. If the car shuts off, hesitates or stumbles, thats probably the problem. Replug the chip. Just make sure you touch something grounded before you touch the chip or you could possibly ruin it. Good Luck!

turbodave231 said:
OK,

Lots of suggestions......but you need accurate diagnosis before you spend any money.

Do you have spark? Take any spark plug lead off and connect a spare plug to the wire and ground the body of the plug. crank and watch. Any spark?

The Buick ignition system needs only 4 things to make spark.
1. 12 volts
2. Ground
3. Crank signal
4. Cam signal

Do you have fuel pressure? Do you hear the pump run for 3 seconds when you key on? Depress the schrader valve on the fuel rail.....carefully of course. Any pressure?

Most no-start problem can be traced to these 2 problem areas. Good Luck.

PM me if you need more help.

Dave

mrmixer2 said:
2)Ground wires to back of passenger head

This was definitely not one of Buick's better ideas.
The bolt is almost impossible to reach.
Glad I got skinny arms :biggrin:

as said have a hood mount fuel guage i have pressure
and no spark

Hope you get it figured out, on another note, Do you want that T-Top dual pod gauge holder? If not I have another guy in line for it. Please let me know
Thanks Justin

If there is no spark, then there is likely no injector pulse either. The fule pressure is coming from the prime pulsa or the oil press sensor.

To diagnose a no spark condition you need a DVOM, even a cheap one will work for this test.

Set DVOM on 10v-12V DC

Backprobe the cam signal wire pin k at the module (hooked up). Use a safety pin or paperclip to sneak in between the wire and the seal. You should see 7v key on engine off. Slowly rotate the engine by Hand and observe the voltage. It should drop to .5v it may take up to 2 full crank revs to see this happen. If you don't see the drop, Cam sensor is not working.

Backprobe the crank signal wire pin F a the module, observe same as above.
This voltage should be the same 7v and go low (.5v) 3 times for every crank rev. no drop? crank sensor is not working.

If you try to crank the engine and observe this, you'll miss the drop. It happens too quick to see on a DVOM. You can see it on an osciliscope or a graphing multimeter.

Don't see the 7V at either sensor? Check 12V and ground to the module. Have good 12V and ground? Module is toast. Look for a sensor voltage feed wire shorted to ground. The module supplies the same voltage source (10-11V) to the cam and crank sensor. If this feed wire gets grounded it takes out the module (no fuse to protect the module).

im faster said:
well i got thw module in the mail today ill put it on tonight or in themorning

Did you check to see if you had power to the Module before purchasing the new one? Hate to see money wated.

ttt????

lol..

well changed the ignition module didnt start unhooked it and tested for power checked fuse blown replaced fuse.. didnt start screamed **** looked under the hood relized i didnt hook the harness back up.. hooked harness up sat in seat said a prayer... the screamed again... ITS ALIVE HAHAHAHA...... so yeah its running agian for now...

Take a look, or you'll be replacing that module again.

Something (wire shorted to ground) took out that ignition module. They rarely blow for no reason.

If you don't inspect, find and fix the real problem, you'll have another problem .

Dave

engine stall

im faster said:
Not really but i am running out of ideas....

i had the car running and pulling in to a parking lot the thing dies again!!1

i just replaced the crank sensor
i have no blown fuses
the coil pack shows resistance
i ook the cap off the cam sensor and everyhing looks fine
i have a good ground on the coil pack
i dont see any bad grounds or wires grounding out
nothing seems wrong but NO SPARK!!!

This is killing me... i had some guy offer me 8k right before this happened now i doubt he will want it... WHY!!!!!

so does anyone have any ideas??

it sounds to me like everyone has forgotten the poor grounding of these cars,
I think it would be interesting to see how well the grounds are at the rear of the right cylinder head , these are the grounds for the ECM as well as the ignition control circuits.

To fix the grounds, one could make a thick groundstrap from one of the coilpack hold-down bolts (I was thinking of the back one) and stick the other end to the firewall someplace, right?

Or is there a better way to ground the engine up? I was with him when we checked resistance between the coil pack mount and a chunk of firewall, zero ohms. Not that it meant anything, a single strand of wire can ohm out on a multimeter, but suck at carrying operational-level voltages.

Which is why using the voltage drop method is a much better way of checking an electrical system dynamically (functioning under loads).

Something to peek at...

Dont know if this is a TR Buick defect...but when my TR kept dying in the middle of a checkers drive thru, it turned out the harness end that plugged into the module got FRIED! unscrewed the harness and peeked into the connectors to find the sockets nearest the center near the bolt had Melted and scorched the plastic! For giggles...try peeking at the sockets on the main harness that plugs into the ignition module.

tried a cheap fix using the ends of another buicks harness only to blow a headgasket at the track when it was misfiring at high boost...a new caspers main wiring harness later...and engine rebuild...all fine lol.