You can type here any text you want

I think I screwed up the PTS PR install

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

DorianL

There doesn't seem to be much of a difference between no TV and full TV.

Before I had:
P: 56 - 170
R: 105 - 240
N: 56 - 170
D: 56 - 140
3: 56 - 140
2: 123 - 140
1: 123 - 140

Now... :( no TV - full TV at 1500
P: 110 - 120
R: 110 - 120
N: 100 - 120
D: 80 - 90
3: 75 - 120
2: 75 - 120
1: 75 - 120

Did I put something in backwards ?!?!?

Clearly something is wrong.

I guess the I got the pressure regulator right... but that's about it.

Before I yank it and start over - any clue what I did wrong.

In the vertical axis, the reverse boost valve drops into the bushing so that the narrow end can slip out the other side a quarter inch or so ?

MTIA,

D.

this is the line up I used

I used vaseline to hold up the spring and rod. then I balanced the four remaining parts under the car and slid them straight up.

Maybe... I dhould have put the reverse boost valve and bushing in there first, hold with vaseline then TV boost assembly ?

regulator.html

Okay - Bruce set me straight

Probably the snap ring isn't properly seated. And indeed, I seem to recall wondering if it was completely seated. I will try again on Wednesday.

Well, the snap ting seemed properly seated.

So I pulled the entire PR kit. If it was supposed to be installed like the pic above, everything should've been fine.

Could it be some dirt ?

Could something be wrong with the pump ?

Again - the numbers seemed OK before it went in. Perhaps a coincidental pump failure?

Hmm - I also seem to recall as the trans heated up I lost the boost in pressure at the 1 - 2 with no TV... maybe a trans cooler and a clean install ?

wondering D.

these are the pressures I got

pressure with old PR no TV and new PR NO tv and cold trans.

P: 56 - 110
R: 105 - 130
N: 56 - 110
D: 56 - 120
3: 56 - 130
2: 123 - 135
1: 123 - 135

I did this cold pressure test cause, well why not since I had nothing better to do.

Could it be a mixture of dirt and the need for a trans cooler du to tighter tolerances ?

PR valve lineup

The holes through the side of the int/rev bushing (third part from the left) go on the end toward the snap ring. I used a deep
socket to compress the spring and inserted a wire bent to 90º
into the coils from the rear of the pump to hold the spring up. The
rest of the parts were easy to put in with the spring held up. :)
After the snapring was in place, I pulled the wire which released the spring.

Re: PR valve lineup

Originally posted by Nordbert
The holes through the side of the int/rev bushing (third part from the left) go on the end toward the snap ring. I used a deep
socket to compress the spring and inserted a wire bent to 90º
into the coils from the rear of the pump to hold the spring up. The
rest of the parts were easy to put in with the spring held up. :)
After the snapring was in place, I pulled the wire which released the spring.

Pretty frackin' impressive! Wish I'd had that info when I was trying to stuff mine in upside down with 18" of clearance. It's in now, but the tranny came out to do it! :rolleyes:

YES - thanks for the tip

Well - I guess then I got the install correct - my guess now is that it's related to dirt and/or heat... hopefully Mark or Bruce will chime in with their toughts. I'm a little reluctant to just clean everything up and out it back in without knowing for sure what the likely cause is.

I could feel some particles in the valves...

Dudes, Nordbert's technique is sweet !

I recommend ! :D

So the kit is back up there - it's clean, it's in there correctly. Fresh oil and fingers crossed.

and another update

Well - same problem. My numbers have not changed. I'm getting roughly 125 across the board. So... I dropped the tranny. The only thing that I could find was that there were 2 stacked oil seals for the pick up sump. A call to PTS told me that it is unlikely that that would be the problem. It cracked open the pump and found everything to be in what I would qualify: very good shape.

Perhaps it was the pickup - BUT, before putting it back in, I'd like to be really sure that it wasn't somehing else.

I should be getting a call from PTS tomorrow after they've thought about it for a little while... :o

Back